Want a fattier bird

erinchelsea

Songster
9 Years
May 23, 2010
Webster City, IA
We processed Cornish Rock X this year for the first time. We had great luck with them, they were healthy, most dressed out around 6 lbs with tons of white meat. i would definitely do it again. However, I notice when cooking them they still are so lean they rather remind me of grocery store meat (although much fresher tasting and smelling!). I was hoping for something more fatty and tender. Melt-in-your mouth, YKWIM? Thought maybe next year we would get a straight run of Australorps and Delawares (since I'd like to try the girls for layers) and process the roos. Will their meat be more fatty and tender? Any other suggestions?

My suggestion: Put them in quiet, smaller, shaded quarters the last two weeks of their lives and feed them grains and dairy products. Lots of food, relaxation and no exercise will give you the fat you're looking for.

More corn will probably make them fatter, but they will slow down on meat production.

As for more "tender"... you'll probably have to age longer. The more exercise they get and the older they get, the tougher they will be. Dual purpose birds take about 2x as long to fill out, and if you like breast meat, do not have as much of it. Since they are usually 4+ months old to eat dual types, they will often have more texture to them... but also more flavor.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

That had crossed my mind!

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

That had crossed my mind!

Actually, letting a couple of cans of beer go flat and pouring it over their feed in the last weeks should actually make them fatter and probably add to their flavor. Not sure what it would cost compared to feeding dry crumbles, because I haven't bought any for many years [did notice its cheaper than bottled water in the grocery isle
lol.png
], but on a small batch of meaties the added cost should not be significent. Of course milk or buttermilk would have basicly the same affect; but I would think the flavor of the meat would be different according to what you use.

feed corn that last bit of finishing.

also, as far as tender, the chickens at the store that you are thinking of that are so tender are also loaded with lots of tenderizers and junk.

try cooking slower, and you'll get more tender meat, also.

some birds are naturally more tender, as well. capo'd birds are supposed to be more tender and flavorful, as well.

Back
Top Bottom