Want a Good Guard Dog for Chickens

PunkinPeep

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
SouthEast Texas
I hope this is the right group to post in. It seems most appropriate to me.

I read where someone said that a Blue Heeler is a good work dog. I was wondering if i could also get some other recommendations for a good work dog that will understand that it has to guard the chickens (and me) and not eat them.

I have just an acre and a half, and i want to find a good dog that will be happy guarding the place and not be a threat to my chickens or any other livestock i might acquire.

Thanks a lot for your advice and recommendations.

Get a Great Pyrenees, no better dog for chickens or other livestock just make sure you get a dog from someone who has chickens so the dogs will already be familiar with them. We have 6 Great Pyrenees.

Sorry no dogs for sale. Can help with a picture fix.
DCP_0456.jpg

I love that picture! The Great Pyrenees is so cute!

I'm wondering though.

I read on some dog website that australian healers need to be taken for long walks every day, etc., so that they don't get bored. Is that true? I'd like to say i'll walk them every day if they need it, but i know i won't. It always seems like an acre and half to run around in should be enough. Do the GP have any exercise requirements that they won't take care of on their own?

I hate to sound so lazy, but i'm just trying to be realistic.

Anatolian Shepherd.
We ahve a Chow that protects extremly well he has been raised with the animals and kids. A week ago he fought off a few coyotes trying to sneak a bite of chicken, no chickens lost and Waylon is healing nicely.

Great Pyrenees is a dog that doesn't require any extra exercise. Ours are happy to just lay around all day. We had someone stop by the house to tell us we had a dead dog in our yard until Jo-Jo rolled over, they said never mind. The Great Pyrenees is a barker especially at night so be warned if you have neighbors close by.

Back
Top Bottom