Want a variety of egg colors

never mind....Easter Egg Chickens! I figured out! LOL! I have TWO! Duh! I can't believe I couldn't get it at first. What a doofus!

BUT since we are on that topic I have a question. My BR mates with EE will the eggs be pink too? I have read that you have to have a blue egg layer breed roo with a brown egg layer hen to get pink.

None of my EEs ever laid pink eggs...yet. Blue and Green pastel colors...which are AWESOME!

I am thinking of getting the gray shell egg layers...I think it's some Russian & Egyptian breeds but I've read they are not good layers. Does anyone know anything about these breeds? I am sorry I can't recall the names...but they are of those regions.

Pedro ~C:->

From what I have learned on here, it is basically a mutt with a blue/green egg gene. I think........
hu.gif

Easter eggers were born from a blue or green egg. They may or may not have a blue egg gene. Since the blue egg gene is dominant, birds with that gene always lay blue or green eggs.

I have the same intention of rainbow eggs. I plan to get leghorns, purebred ameraucanas (for the bluest eggs), and marans (from a good breeder so I get the really dark eggs). In my little lot, that's probably all I'll have - just the three purest colors. If I had the room, I'd have a big flock and let them all run together with 3 roosters, one of each breed, and then the babies would lay all the possible colors.
big_smile.png

Grey eggs, to my understanding, are the product of blue-egger / dark-egger crosses. The olive and grey eggs in my avi are from that kind of cross.

Back
Top Bottom