Want to add 2 new breeds to our flock...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Baptist1611, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Baptist1611

Baptist1611 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Currently we have Comet and Barred rock..But we want to add two new breeds;) One for me and one for my wife;)

I am almost 100% set on Buckeyes myself, but also looking at Barnvelders...

My wife however is hard.....She wants a pretty bird, colorful, and she would love to get something with a purple color (or maybe lavender)... any suggestions? Pics would be nice also:)

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    The closest one to lavender I know would be a black chicken if you fed them a lot of sunflower seed that is, they would loose their green sheen and get a purple sheen (don't do this with show chickens!)

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You can always get Lavender colored breeds. They're technically a metallic gray with a tiny tiny hint of lilac coloration though.

After that would be a well taken care of black bird with poor feather growth. Black chickens should sheen green and blue, not purple. Purple is from poor feather growth.

Other than that, neat colors are usually found in more rare breeds and strains, not hatcheries/feedstores. Neat colors in hatcheries though included Laced Wyandottes. Speckled Sussex, and Laced Polish.

4. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    Laced birds are stunning to have in your yard [​IMG]

5. Baptist1611

Baptist1611 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    We do not plan on buying hatchery, but from personal people.... One reason we came here:) to find people who may have these breeds:)

6. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    I don't have any of the breeds but good luck finding someone who does! [​IMG]

7. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    I know it is a question of security, but when looking for local sellers it helps if we know what region you live in. Our avatars don't show that anymore...

8. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    oops, I guess mine still does!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by