Want to help a hen to hatch duck eggs- which hen?

Eurekahens

Chirping
May 9, 2012
Northern California
Hi there poultry keepers. I am totally new at chicken keeping (got a 1 year old set of hens- 3 Ameraucana and 1 Barred Plymouth Rock, about a month ago). They began laying right away and we just love them! We had a little problem with an ostracized hen, but you helped me through it. I have the opportunity to get some fertilized Miniature Silver Appleyard Ducks. I would love to see if one of the hens will hatch them. I have read all about the brooding box, the golf balls, the quiet and dark setting... but I'm not sure how I invite 1 hen? Do I pick one to work with? Do I expose all of them and see if I have takers? Do I set up a brooder very separate from the rest? The eggs should be available in the next day or two and I'd rather not do the incubator method if I can help it. Thanks!!

Hi there poultry keepers.  I am totally new at chicken keeping (got a 1 year old set of hens- 3 Ameraucana and 1 Barred Plymouth Rock, about a month ago).  They began laying right away and we just love them!  We had a little problem with an ostracized hen, but you helped me through it.  I have the opportunity to get some fertilized Miniature Silver Appleyard Ducks.   I would love to see if one of the hens will hatch them.  I have read all about the brooding box, the golf balls, the quiet and dark setting... but I'm not sure how I invite 1 hen?  Do I pick one to work with? Do I expose all of them and see if I have takers?  Do I set up a brooder very separate from the rest?  The eggs should be available in the next day or two and I'd rather not do the incubator method if I can help it.  Thanks!!

Hate to tell you this but you cant make a hen go broody no matter what...They either go broody or dont..youll have to wait it out...If you see one of your hens hunkered down for a good two days...id suspect you have a broody...

Back
Top Bottom