Want to make a grazer box.

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
Thinking of making a grazer box(with the hardware cloth and all to prevent destruction and promote growth). I however cannot for the life of me find hardly anything that's shade loving as my run is under 6 big old maples that create a great amount of shade from the summer heat.

What I did think of using because I found a shade mix of deer food plot! I've heard people of using it and getting mixed reviews seemingly on it. As I dove deeper into it more and more people were saying their birds went bananas over the food plot.

My question is, is there anything in the plot Mixes chickens can't eat? My quick search told me no. But as it has been tried before I figured screw it let's see what people tell me.
Thanks

Secondary question, how big of a grazer box should I have if I have 22 birds? I've seen 2x4, 4x4, 4x8 all sorts of sizes

Last edited:
I am thinking that you are talking about a setup like pictured.
Start off with one 4 X 8 frame, and see how it goes. 22 chickens is a pretty large number. If you see the greens going fast,,,, then add another box. :idunno
You can also try planting other types of grains as experimentation. Wheat, Rye, barley, oats,,, all these sprouts would not harm your chickens. I have not done the planting of such, so not sure which sprouts would be a preference in chickens flavor desires.
image_2021-08-06_024114.png

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

I am thinking that you are talking about a setup like pictured.
Start off with one 4 X 8 frame, and see how it goes. 22 chickens is a pretty large number. If you see the greens going fast,,,, then add another box. :idunno
You can also try planting other types of grains as experimentation. Wheat, Rye, barley, oats,,, all these sprouts would not harm your chickens. I have not done the planting of such, so not sure which sprouts would be a preference in chickens flavor desires.
View attachment 2787463

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
That's exactly what I was thinking. My issue is where.my run is to keep them protected. Its under like 5 or 6 old growth maples so it allows virtually no light in from overhead. 5pm sun is allowed under the canopy toward the run. But it's not enough to really sustain any type of plant life there. That's why I was looking to anything that loves shade. I actually thought maybe they make a shade loving food plot mix for deer! Everything in every bag of food plot mix chickens can eat and chickens love. So even though its a tad expensive. I might try that unless someone at my local feed store has more knowledge about something he sells That's cheaper and will work just as well.

Back
Top Bottom