Want to make sure I am doing this right

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickmama320, May 9, 2009.

1. chickmama320

chickmama320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    Hello everyone! So I've had my kids for 2months now so they are about 10 or 11 weeks old now. They were getting to big and too MESSY to stay in the dog crate in the house any longer. Of course, we haven't gotten the coop built either. So the kids are free ranging in the back yard. I have 2 BR- one male, one female and one female RIR. They are still getting their daily chick feed- I actually am at the bottom of the bag right now and need to run to the feed store when it opens in a few hours. Should I be keeping them on the chick feed at this point or switch them over to something else?? Since they are outside they are also just eating whatever they are finding outside. I'm assuming I need to start them on grit now- is that correct?
    Also what is the best way to offer them water? Right now they are using the dog's 3gallon water thing.
    Any other suggestions to take care of "Lover boy and his heirum" would be appreciated.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

What does the bag say? You may need to switch from starter to grower-varies slightly by brand. By 10 weeks some brands recommend switching to grower feed. But stick with a brand so that the chabgeover is consistent- the protein levels matter. And start with some of the old feed mixed with some of the new...[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    I'm using Nutrina's starter/grower until mine start laying in a month or so, then switch to layer feed.

If your chicks have access to sandy grit or very small gravel outside you don't need to buy any grit. Or you could put in a dust bath area that includes sand, DE or Stall Dry, and wood ashes and they may eat some of the sand for grit.

Be sure their ranging area is preditor proof.

4. chickmama320

chickmama320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    I have a six foot privacy fence on 3sides of my yard and then the backside is four foot chain link. There is a hot wire along the bottom of it most of the way around (part of my fence is actually my neighbors and I didn't want to attach anything to his fence).

I live in eastern north carolina my soil is sand, but I'm worried that it is too fine of a sand to do the job.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    If your feeding starter and not starter/grower I would swith to grower when your bag runs out and then layer when they start laying. If they are free ranging they should get enough grit naturally. Mine PREFER drinking out of a bucket so I set one up that was just theirs and keep the waterer just for babies.

6. dupsie0001

dupsie0001 New Egg

May 9, 2009
    I am a first time farmer. I have 1920 bids in my pen. I have been doing my utmost best to feed them well n give them all d necessary medication prescibed by d vet.
    They a doing wonderfully well. and are presntly 13weeks old. Is there a standard weight for birds this age?
    At what age will they start laying eggs. how many eggs per day should i expect from this no. What nutrients do I need to give them to boost their growth.
    Ny entire day is made each time i go into d pen n at sound of my voice they all come running n flying. wowi!! it is a sight soo beautiful.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by