Want to raise up existing coop

Hi! I have 4 five week old. I’ve had them for 4 days. The chicks are currently in a large box in our garage and as I am learning more about them, I am realizing that I will feel more comfortable with the coop elevated off the ground. Please see the brand new coop I bought and built.

I have seen some incredible buildings you all have constructed and I’m beyond impressed!!! I was wondering if anyone has successfully passed along building instructions to a gal that likes to use a power tool although I need explicit directions with exactly what 2by4 I need, nails etc?!?
If anyone has any ideas, plans they are willing to share I would greatly appreciate it.
im basically looking to build a secure base and elevate the enclosed coop off the ground so I can hang their food below? This pic is just for inspiration. I have the exact measurements too if anyone needs them!! Lol
thank you all so much!!!

Do you have a limit on the # of chickens your can keep by law in your area? IMHO it's always better to build larger than add on. You might want more chickens. Another thing I'd pass along is stop heating your coop. Chicken's temps run around 106F. They don't sweat. Wash your hands and dry only one hand go outside into the cold see how that hand feels and is probably colder. Chickens need a dry coop. So you need ventilation. They will keep themselves warm by snuggling up and covering their feet with their under coat of down. Puff up their feathers and stay toasty. Put your hand under a wing. Warm under there. Reach under a nesting hen kinda hot under there. That's so they can sit on eggs, hatch them and keep them warm. If you heat this early in the year they won't grow their under coat. And if you lose power what then?

Do you have a limit on the # of chickens your can keep by law in your area? IMHO it's always better to build larger than add on. You might want more chickens. Another thing I'd pass along is stop heating your coop. Chicken's temps run around 106F. They don't sweat. Wash your hands and dry only one hand go outside into the cold see how that hand feels and is probably colder. Chickens need a dry coop. So you need ventilation. They will keep themselves warm by snuggling up and covering their feet with their under coat of down. Puff up their feathers and stay toasty. Put your hand under a wing. Warm under there. Reach under a nesting hen kinda hot under there. That's so they can sit on eggs, hatch them and keep them warm. If you heat this early in the year they won't grow their under coat. And if you lose power what then?
Yes, we can only have 4 so I’m starting with the max lol!! I’ve been reading more and more about the no extra heat in the coop and I’m becoming more comfortable with it. I’m just always cold!!!!! We also sometimes get down to Siberia temps...no eat then? But when they become egg laying age I will need to extend the day light with the red lamp? Thanks for all the info so far. So appreciate the guidance.

Yes, we can only have 4 so I’m starting with the max lol!! I’ve been reading more and more about the no extra heat in the coop and I’m becoming more comfortable with it. I’m just always cold!!!!! We also sometimes get down to Siberia temps...no eat then? But when they become egg laying age I will need to extend the day light with the red lamp? Thanks for all the info so far. So appreciate the guidance.
Again chickens are made to withstand the cold. I live in Maine Western Maine. I had my birds in a coop just like some of your early pics. In the winter of '18-19 and we got down to -20 and I bet sometimes even lower. My birds laid everyday. 4 of them all winter long. 2 were pullets so I can't take any credit for them. But the other two were full fledged chickens. and they still laid every day that winter. I was in chicken heaven. Without a light. Chickens have only so many eggs "in them" when they hatch. So you can get them over the winter time but you'll lose out in later years. If you do chose to put on a light do it in the morning. And just use a shop light. Some times I put light in my coop on very windy, snowy days. My run is quite large and not covered. I have lots of trees over it for summer but as the sun moves they do get sunshine. If you extend the day light they might not molt before the weather gets cold but molt later in the fall/winter when they need the new insulating feathers.

I am kinda holistic with my birds. Sorta like WWJD. What would it be like if my chickens were still wild. Yes I feed them 18% commercial feed and mealworms but I try to keep them as "natural" as if they were still wild.

ETA: give the girls a break to relax and rejuvenate for a few months. They will lay again and you will fall in love with their eggs again.

I thought I’d give everyone an update. It’s not done yet but it’s getting there!!! I have a long list of stuff still to do tomorrow but if anyone has any feedback, I’d greatly appreciate it! Thank you!!!

Attachments

• 920966E8-47C9-49C0-886A-8A1E46550322.jpeg
    920966E8-47C9-49C0-886A-8A1E46550322.jpeg
    969.4 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom