1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

want to see what kind of brown egg layers you like

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hunter109, Apr 26, 2011.

1. hunter109

hunter109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    moscow ohio
    i was going to see what you all thing is the best brown egg layers and what you think is the best white egg layers and then which one is the best to set all through the winter months

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Best brown egg layers: Rhode Island Red (aka Production Red), Red Sexlink (aka Cinnamon Queen, Red Star, Golden Comet, ISA Brown, etc.), Black Sexlink, Black Australorp, Barred Rock.

Best white egg layers: White Leghorn, Buff Minorca, Black Minorca, Brown Leghorn, Ancona.

The very best layers are: White Leghorns, Rhode Island Reds, and Red Sexlinks.

If you live in a colder climate, I'd stay away from the Mediteranean breeds (Leghorns, Anconas, and Minorcas). Their smaller bodies and large combs don't do so well in the cold. They are better suited for hot climates. Rhode Island Reds and Red Sexlinks do very well in colder climates.

3. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:What she said [​IMG] I live in a cold climate so I have Barred rocks since they are cold hearty and good layers (plus they are considered a dual purpose) Best of all worlds!

4. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    I LOVE my barred rock. I don't know about laying, but my barred rock is the friendliest chicken I have ever had. Very curious and outgoing - runs with the turkeys and begs for attention.

5. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    best brown egg layers are definitely Barred Rocks; they hardly miss a beat during winter, lay 5 or 6 days a week, and integrate well with other breeds

Can't say on white egg layers, as I don't have any ... brown eggs just sell better around here.

6. hunter109

Apr 22, 2011
    moscow ohio
    well as of right now i have 15 golden commets and i am going to get a few more breeds i think some barred rocks. i wass thinking about something esle that will lay brown eggs i mean what are the best cold layers out there it gets pretty cold here in the winter time i was just thinking and want to know what you all think

7. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    The best brown egg layers I have had are New Hampshire Reds and RIR. The NHRs laid large eggs and they laid many eggs. The RIR laid throughout two winters so far and has been an excellent layer. The White Rocks are laying very well right now, but they don't lay a lot in the winter months.

I recently ordered White Leghorns because they are supposed to be excellent layers of white eggs. I really hope they are! [​IMG]

8. hunter109

Apr 22, 2011
    moscow ohio
    thats cool so how will the golden comets lay in the winter mont

9. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Yup, gotta go with my Barred Rocks, Marsha, Jan and Cindy. They're reliable for sure.

I've only got one white egg layer breed and that's Silver Spangled Hamburgs. They were called the "every day egg layer" for a reason! Mine are bantams and their eggs are tiny and adorable! I made an Easter Egg Tree this year and decorated with my SSH eggs (hey, why should Santa have all the fun?)

[​IMG]

10. djwest8635

djwest8635 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    I hear that the buff orpingtons are pretty good winter layers. we just got our first chicks about 3 weeks ago and we got buffs and barred rocks. I guess we'll see who lays the most eggs during the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by