Want to sell now

Gittx

Songster
9 Years
Jul 3, 2012
Edom, Texas
When I first got my chickens, I had two neighbors help me out. One helped me build the coop, and the other gave me some lumber for the coop. I have been supplying them both with free eggs for helping me out, for close to a year. The cost of chicken feed continues to climb, and I would really like to charge for the eggs now.......I'm just not sure how to let them know. Has anyone had this experience, or any ideas how I can approach them for $$? Thanks

1# Do you have any other neighbors or people at work that you could sell them to.
2# You could also just ask them to buy a bag of feed between them every so often.
3# If they are nice neighbors (Like mine) you should just be able to say it straight up.

Yes, I do have other neighbors I could sell to, but it's a small community, and the other neighbors know I give free eggs to some. Maybe as winter raises it's head, and the girls begin to lay less and less, I could just tell Everyone I'll have eggs for sale in the spring. I know saying it straight up is the right thing to do, but I hate that it seems like I'm changing my mind....even though I am :( Guess I'm hoping for a tricky way to do it, so I don't hurt feelings. Thanks for your help.

I think you just need to come right out and say look I know I've been giving away eggs but I can no longer afford to do that. I'm going to have to start charging for the eggs in order to afford to feed my chickens. I think people will understand and if they don't I guess they can buy eggs at the grocery store.

It is molting time,and that along will less light means no eggs for some(like me).Just stop giving eggs,or tell them you might get rid of them due to increased costs.See if they offer money.My feed went up $2,bedding $1,and straw $1.50.Complain no eggs,less eggs,high costs.Whatever you say just stop giving.You could keep it simple and say you don't get enough eggs to spare any.Sure the help was great,but that does not mean free eggs forever.

I think you just need to come right out and say look I know I've been giving away eggs but I can no longer afford to do that. I'm going to have to start charging for the eggs in order to afford to feed my chickens. I think people will understand and if they don't I guess they can buy eggs at the grocery store.

This is a good way of doing it. They'll have to understand that you cant afford it and if they where nice enough to build you a coop then they should be nice enough to accept your changes. I sell my eggs for much more than other Free Range eggs Around the area and much more than the store bought eggs, yet people love the convenience and they know there fresh. That's all buyers want in an egg.

You are all right. As egg production wanes this time of year, it would be a good time to bring up costs vs. production. As a final gesture, I could even offer them both baby chicks in the spring, then they could raise their own. That would help put it in perspective too. Thank you all. Good advice!

Back
Top Bottom