1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

want to try incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Berynn, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    Does anyone know where I can get an incubator that isn't to expensive, I want to try hatching my own eggs?
    How long does it take once the 21 days are up for the chicks to pip or hatch?
    If I bought three or four eggs what are the chances that all of them would hatch?

2. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    many people on here have made their own incubators. So you might want to do a search to see how to do that. You can buy a Little Giant incubator at most farm supply stores for about $40 and then another $40 for a turner.

I would say for most people's first time is a learning experience and don't have a good success. I also would do a search here before you get started and learn about the humidity and temps.

Very few people ever get 100% hatch rate, there are so many variables.

Good luck, there is nothing so addicting as hatching eggs.

jackie

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I wouldn't try with less than a dozen eggs to start. So many things happen, especially if you have some shipped to you then throughout incubation as well. Chances vary in the extreme. Look at it this way: it's a wonderful skill to add to your life experiences. That way, when someone says, "Hey, do you know anything about hatching chicken eggs?", you can say, "Why, yes, I do!". [​IMG]

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

5. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    You could try freecycle! I was able to get 2 free incubators from there! woohoo. Good Luck
    Cristina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by