Want to turn whole thing into coop? Water proof too? Help!

Yes for sure!! Random question- but does anyone know how to do a fly strike check on birds? Like how do I tell/examine this? One of my babies has been really lethargic and has been laying down almost 24/7 in the coop. If I look in between feathers will that tell me if there has been some sort of bug attack? Or is it all internal? I know this isn’t a heath safety post thread- just thought I’d see if y’all have any advice on this
How old is this baby? 5-7 weeks old is prime time for Cocidiosis.
Lots of info here about that. I try to avoid this with the fresh grass tractor!

How old is this baby? 5-7 weeks old is prime time for Cocidiosis.
Lots of info here about that. I try to avoid this with the fresh grass tractor!
She’s 9 weeks old- she’s been doing this for a couple weeks- she never really grew feathers under her chin on a spot too- not sure if this is a symptom of anything? She will eat and drink but she will lay down when she does it. I also freaked my self out about fly strike bully reading a ton about it 😂 but no where said how to do an exam to see if your chicken has it

She’s 9 weeks old- she’s been doing this for a couple weeks- she never really grew feathers under her chin on a spot too- not sure if this is a symptom of anything? She will eat and drink but she will lay down when she does it. I also freaked my self out about fly strike bully reading a ton about it 😂 but no where said how to do an exam to see if your chicken has it
Is this bird larger than the rest? Can you post a photo of her?

I also freaked my self out about fly strike bully reading a ton about it 😂 but no where said how to do an exam to see if your chicken has it

I just went looking around via google... visible maggots seem to be a common symptom. And treatment involves physically removing the maggots with tweezers or a bath. (I saw some say washing is best, others say not to get the animal wet.)

I think that if you look the chicken over fairly well, and you do not see any maggots; and if you also do not see anything injured/poopy/dirty/wet, then the chicken probably does not have flystrike. (Injured/poopy/etc attracts flies to lay their eggs: so get it clean and look again to be sure. But don't leave it wet, because that can attract flies too.)

I'm thinking they don't tell people how to recognize it because it's obvious when you see it--but that doesn't help when you are NOT seeing it, but want to be sure :)

Is this bird larger than the rest? Can you post a photo of her?
She is actually the smallest bird- still being young but even the smallest in the groupof young ones. Could it be a personality thing to lay down and stay in the coop this much?

Attachments

• 0584CDC0-2666-4424-9E3F-5018F50B0180.jpeg
    0584CDC0-2666-4424-9E3F-5018F50B0180.jpeg
    534 KB · Views: 9
I just went looking around via google... visible maggots seem to be a common symptom. And treatment involves physically removing the maggots with tweezers or a bath. (I saw some say washing is best, others say not to get the animal wet.)

I think that if you look the chicken over fairly well, and you do not see any maggots; and if you also do not see anything injured/poopy/dirty/wet, then the chicken probably does not have flystrike. (Injured/poopy/etc attracts flies to lay their eggs: so get it clean and look again to be sure. But don't leave it wet, because that can attract flies too.)

I'm thinking they don't tell people how to recognize it because it's obvious when you see it--but that doesn't help when you are NOT seeing it, but want to be sure :)
Ahhhh thank you- yes that makes me feel better. I guess it’s supposed to be really obvious then! Thank you for this!! Makes me feel so much better 👍🏼👍🏼

Make sure she is getting enough to eat and drink. If she is weak the others will bully her. I would give her something in her water like crushed raw garlic, ACV, or vitamins. Make sure she has access to plain water. I am raising Marans this year and compared to other breeds I have had they do sit down a lot. What breed is she?

Make sure she is getting enough to eat and drink. If she is weak the others will bully her. I would give her something in her water like crushed raw garlic, ACV, or vitamins. Make sure she has access to plain water. I am raising Marans this year and compared to other breeds I have had they do sit down a lot. What breed is she?
Ok I will do this. She is an Easter egger baby

Back
Top Bottom