Wanted:a Puppy or Young dog

DragonEggs

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Borger, TX
So, the reason I have been so neglectful of BYC for the past month is because of the death of my beloved Saint Bernard. He was young and died of a curable illness but the lack of care from the local emergency vet was the true cause of death.I have had a very hard time dealing with this and in this past month I have been activly searching for another dog tohelp fill that hole before it gets any deeper. Natuarally my first stop was the local shelters. I have even searched online through petfinder.com throughout the state of FL. I have posted on several craigslist spots in my area of the state. I have yet to find a suitable dog. I have even contacted breeders but most do not have puppies this time of the year.

So, my fellow BYCers, I have come to you for help, if you so see fit after a month of ignoring you (so I wouldn't blame you if you chose not to).

Below is a list of breeds (in no particular order) I have been searching for. If you or anyone you know has a similar dog (prefer a puppy or young) that needs a home in the state of FL (I'm willing to travel quite a ways) please pst me.

Saint Bernard
Austrailian Shepherd
Chow Chow
Spitz or American Eskimo
Schipperke
Welsh Corgi
Great Pyrenees
Leonberger
Belgian SHepherd
Bernese MOuntain Dog
Newfoundland

See a pattern? LoL. Looking for a BIG hairy dog! Some of the other breeds listed of smaller dogs I have owned in the past and were very happy with

Please contact me if you think you can help. THANKS!

You might be looking for a dog with your St. Bernards personality, & overlooking the individual personality of the shelter dogs. My suggestion is to go back to the shelter & spend some time with the dogs. I worked at our local shelter that housed about 150 dogs, & I believe the right dog is there, you just haven't discovered it yet. Good luck in your search.

aww Im sorry-that rots! I hope you fine the love of life very soon!!!
hugs.gif

Trust me, I've spent so much time at the local shelters that I think they would kick me out if I wasn't helping out as well.

I've tried Petfinder.com too with not much luck.

Its not any particular dog or personality but I am trying to find another large breed dog preferably. Just looking for the right dog. You know, kind of like how you just know when something feels right.

Have you contacted St. bernard or other breed's rescue clubs?
If you go to AKC.org, there are the breed list and the link to parents club.
Most of the parents clubs have link to rescue clubs too.
OR you can contact breeders individually, and ask for a retired show dog. "Retired" doesn't mean the dog is old. My friend could find a retired champion standard poodle which was only 13 months old.
Breeders cannot keep all the big dogs at home, so they place the dogs once they are finished.
In this economy, breeders cannot sell the pups so they don't breed much.

Been through all of that. There aren't any breeders of large dogs I have found in S. FL and having a puppy flown costs a fortune. Not to mention I don't quite trust it. I don't want to pay $1000 for a dog.

I can send you the Saint down the street. They had 2, but think they must have lots one. These dogs spent the summer breaking into backyards and eatting off peoples BBQs!

You need to come out here for a pup. I still have show friends and breeders that I trained for that have 4 of your breeds.

I am getting a pup at the end of Oct. from a litter of "Free to good home" pups....they have eleven!!!!
th.gif

Mother is Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab mix and father is pure St. Bernard....6 girls, 5 boys. I can see if they have all been spoken for....I called today and they have had many calls. I reserved a boy.

They describe them as dark brown/black with white markings on chest and feet. Both parents are on the premises.

Here in the WV eastern panhandle....is that too far to travel? I'll try to get pics later on this week and post them.

I am so sorry to hear about your Saint Bernard. That is so sad... I am sure you feel a huge hole in your heart right now.
hugs.gif
hit.gif

I would keep looking at rescue dogs! Even a bit outside your area if you can. I lost one of my dogs last March very suddenly and felt I needed to rescue a dog right away. Things kept not working out, I couldn't seem to find the right dog, but after a while of waiting and obsessively stalking all shelters within a two hour drive of me, I ended up adopting two corgis (the breed I'd wanted for years!) who are the loves of my life. These dogs are like angels to me, they are the cutest, funniest, and most wonderful dogs I could have ever asked for. I am so thankful for them being in my life every single day.
love.gif

I guess what I'm trying to say is just don't give up! Keep looking for rescue dogs until you find that one that just clicks. Trust me, they will be worth the wait. They may not be exactly what you're looking for--maybe a little older, maybe smaller, maybe not exactly the breed you thought (and then again, maybe the dog will be exactly what you're looking for!), but you'll know when you find a dog that was meant to be with you. Good luck, I hope you find that companion soon. And if you don't right away, hang in there and don't give up. Doggie soulmates are worth the wait.

Back
Top Bottom