wanted chicken coop Washington

streemers

Songster
11 Years
Oct 13, 2008
port orchard,WA
Hi i am looking for a chicken coop. so if anyone has 1 to sale for a good price or 1 sitting around they dont need please let me know. I would have my hubby build 1 but he works all the time and it is easier for me to just buy it.

hi there and
welcome-byc.gif

check out http://portland.craigslist.org/

many
coops are listed with a range of prices.

You could try to make one yourself! It really isn't that hard if you just make a tractor style one. Who says Hubby has to help? Nothing wrong with getting a bit dirty, building stuff, or crawling under the car to change oil and popping the hood to swap an alternator! Ok, I lie, I didn't do the alternator myself, I wasn't strong enough to hold the fan belt tensioner in place and get the belt off on my lonesome.
tongue.png

Welcome fellow washingtonian!

i build mini coops all the time. if you get free lumber and it doesn't turn out like you want you haven't lost much. pallets and shorts(less than 8') can be found and hauled home for gas and time. i have a two story tractor that is 3x8 each floor(24+24=48 sq. ft) and still man portable for paint, wire and nails. if i wasn't chasing kids i could show you how to make one 42x42 in a day. cordless tools allow you to chop a few boards at a time. if you don't want to make one i'd suggest craiglist but when i sell there i charge more because of my time.

i have been thinking about doing it myself and maybe i will. we have all the tools and i know what lumber i need. I kinda like the A frame ones and they look really easy. or i guess i could build 1 like my duck house but put it on stilts and add a ramp and chicken wire.

a frame styles are easy but a lot of weight for the sq. ft. your chix get. don't be afraid of a pitched roof. you can even make a box and then split a wide board like a 2x10 in to 2 rt triangles to make a slope to place your roof board. roofing can be shingle, or sheet goods. solexx and fiberglass are not hard to cut and can be bent.

Look on Craig's list for things that can be used as coops, (dog houses, sheds, play houses). My movable coop is a converted dog house and it works great! (and it looks better then anything that I could build myself.)

Back
Top Bottom