WANTED: Sprout Tray Setup

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Chicabee19, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    My ND told me to start eating sprouts because of their nutrients and easy-digestion status.

I'm hoping somebody out there got a sprouting set for Christmas last year and doesn't use it!

I'm willing to take it off your hands or trade for my 4-tray electric food dryer, or even pay something for it.

Looking for a three-tray setup, or something large enough to grow several types of sprouts at once.

2. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    ALthough growing your own sprouts is fun and easy, Most grocery stores have sprouts all ready for you in the healthfood or produce area, usually by the organic stuff. I cheat and get a carton for me, my parrot and my dogs.

3. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Our stores only carry 2 kinds of sprouts.

I need to make these: Alfalfa, Clover, Broccoli, Radish, Mustard, Garlic, Leek, Onion, Mung and other beans...

4. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    I love ours BUT I am keeping it. [​IMG] I did want to say I get all of our sprout stuff from Ebay and Sprout people online. Goodluck [​IMG]

5. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    [​IMG] I don't blame you! I have been looking online and found some good prices...

I'm a big freecycler, so I first try to do things through giving, sharing, or trade.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  6. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

You can just get packages of the sprouting seeds and I use larger glass jars, put seeds in, run tap water in, the seeds expand in an hour and then shake and lay the jar on its side, every day when you're near the kitchen sink/window, shake and rotate, add a tiny bit of tap water if needed...simple, works and its all right there:)

Examples of how or where to get these bigger glass jars are:
    Dill Pickle jars, Artichoke heart jars...those are the only two that I needed cause my family goes thru those items like they breathe air!

7. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    thanks Snowy...

I've gone the jar route, but my ND wants me to have a more careful setup because of my depressed immune system.

I just told my DH that I want a 3-tray stacker for my birthday! [​IMG]

8. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Maybe you could convert the food dryer to a food sprouter. Line the trays with mesh and pour water over it? (unplug it first). Hmmm N'll give that a try. I'll post pics if it works.

9. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    That's actually a great idea! [​IMG] I never thought of that.

I'm going to give it some thought. I can't use cheesecloth, but I could use soft screening like we did with some of the jars.

DH says 'why go to the chicken board to find out about sprouting stuff?'

Of course he just doesn't understand, does he?!

10. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I got a Sprout Master mini triple sprouter on Amazon.com for $21. [​IMG]

I can't wait for it to get here. I compared and compared and compared - read a bunch of reviews and searched for the cheapest price for the one I decided upon.

Now to find some sprouting seeds... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by