Wanted to swipe a half-grown ducking!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by d.k, May 18, 2008.

1. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* We have a LOT of Muscovies that have the run of a whole neighborhood nearby-- and one momma with a BIG downy duckling were hanging out in the drive-thru of the Steak 'n Shake. MAN-OH-MAN, was I tempted to bring that duckling home!!! (Bad toad, that I am [​IMG]) But, I let her be. [​IMG]:clap:aww

2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    WOW - you have free roaming muscovies? Cool! Are they wild? Or did they get loose?

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] We were at the park today and there were several Canadian Geese sitting on nests. I would have loved to sneak an egg to hatch but, I behaved and left their mothers to the work!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Having canadian geese without a bill of sale or a permit is not legal. I am glad you left the eggs alone.

5. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I know that is a big reason I don't have one in the bator right now! We have many pairs right around here. Just waiting for their little ones to hatch and then they will be right around and in the yard for us to see! [​IMG]

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Yep-- They've been here as long we have, but the population is getting big-- must be 4O+ ducks now. They have 3 good rain run-off ponds and a canal to swim-- but, they waddle all over a 4-5 block area. They avoid the Target store pond like the plague. It is sprayed regularly and is dead sterile. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  7. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Wow! That is getting to be quite a few!

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* They get fed by some the residents of the 2 big apartment complex and the houses & visitors. Occasionally, some jerk will run one over, but they have it pretty good overall.

9. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sounds like they are no dumbies-stick with the food! [​IMG]

10. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    I see you are in Florida too ...

We have some muscovies in several areas around here. Some of them are "accidental" flocks, and others may or may not be. I know of one nursing home with a pond though, and the muscovies there are wild. They may have migrated over from the flock of a nearby hospital though, and I think the hospital might keep theirs on purpose ... they have muscovies, mallards, and pekins.

I guess the ponds around here provide a lot of food, and so do visitors, so the ducks just find a good place and decide to stay in some cases. [​IMG]

trish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by