Wanted to use the feet

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by GardenWeasel, Sep 26, 2012.

1. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Henry, TN
    We just butchered a 3+ year sexlink hen and a crossbeak 23 week old. It was a first time not just observing, It went ok, I was a little shaken. Read all the posts about peeling the feet but man, these were like cutting leather. Could not find anything to peel. I threw them away this time but would like to be able to use them for stock in the future. Have bought them at ethnic markets and they are great. Were these birds just too old or is there a way to use them. I should have refrigerated them but we threw all the stuff out, first time jitters. We will save livers, hearts, etc. in the future.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    You have to scald the feet really good to peel them. Next time try dipping them in some boiling water for a few seconds. Then you can indeed literally just rub the outer skin off, nail coverings too! You aren't aiming to skin them like a steer, just to get the outer hard part off. They'll still look like feet.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  3. smilingcat

smilingcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    probably you need to scald the feet to get the skin to peel off. Just pour boiling water over the feet. Don't want to cook it right there and then but scalding hot will cook the skin off.

Chinese have a dish using chicken feet. I just googled and OMG they have several ways to serve chicken feet [​IMG]

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Many cultures eat the feet. Nothing I'm into trying myself. Last week we butchered three 26 week old cockerels. Being so few and knowing the dishes I'd probably be making from them don't call for skin we just skinned them feathers and all after removing neck, hocks and wings to discard. Was quick that way, last one was 10 minutes from de-necking to cleaning out abdomen after evisceration. From there they set in fridge for 36 hours until I separated the legs and breast to fridge in ziplock bags then made stock from the backs. 3 backs made 12 cups of the best mothers sauce quality stock that could have easily been watered down. Made a double batch of chicken and sausage gumbo only adding one 4 cup box of chicken broth a few days later- scrumptious!

ETA- forgot it took a 2 boxes not one- bought a 3 cup box of stock for $2,70 that was a joke in comparison to the quality we made for free.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  5. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    There isn't (or at least shouldn't be) any cutting involved in peeling chicken feet beyond cutting through the hock joint to separate the feet from the rest of the carcass (which I personally find easier to do after the feet are peeled). Just scald the feet for a minute or three in 140-150 degree water. Then you just rub the skin right off. It should come off real easy, like wallpaper in a hot steamy bathroom. The nails are often a little more difficult, you have to grasp them between your thumb and index finger and squeeze while pulling to pop them off but they should pop right off without too much effort too. I have to admit, peeling the feet is my favorite part of cleaning a chicken.

I have eaten chicken feet before. It was at a Chinese buffet and they had them out on the line so I figured I'd give it a try. It was kind of like eating the skin, a little chewy and quite fatty surprisingly enough. It wasn't as weird as I thought it would be. But now that I've tried it once, I can't say I have a particularly strong desire to eat it again. But they do make the absolute best stock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by