wanting to get a few different breeds for my homestead....

AndysHomestead

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 28, 2012
after doing alot of research, id like to get the following hens:
3-rir
1-barred rocks
1-buff rocks
1-white giant
1-partrige cochan

im wanting alot of variety and im hoping to never have to introduce more chickens to the flock.

i really like the looks of the partridge rock rooster...if i were to get a partridge rock roo, do you see me running into any kind of troubles with these hens/roo combo? im wanting them for eggs/meat, btw.... not for show or anything like that.

after doing alot of research, id like to get the following hens:
3-rir ( eggs)
1-barred rocks (dual purpose for eggs and meat)
1-buff rocks (dual purpose, eggs and meat)
1-white giant (?)
1-partrige cochan (show?)

im wanting alot of variety and im hoping to never have to introduce more chickens to the flock.

i really like the looks of the partridge rock rooster...if i were to get a partridge rock roo, do you see me running into any kind of troubles with these hens/roo combo? im wanting them for eggs/meat, btw.... not for show or anything like that.
Hi,
Are you planning to breed that PR roo to all these hens and just have a mixed breed flock of varigated colors?
The first time you cross them, you will lose all the colors of the breeds you have chosen. However, you should retain the working qualities if that's what interests you.
Best,
karen in western PA, USA

Last edited:
yeah, they are just for eggs/meat.

what colors could i expect using a p.r. rooster? any other roos that would throw out some nice colors on my chicks?

No clue on the color question. I have some Partridge Cochin x New Hampshire Red eggs in the incubator but haven't seen the result yet. As for the Partridge Cochin, mine is the sweetest rooster ever. Only crows a couple times a day and I almost never hear him..

i was thinking about going big .....

but... i think im just gonna shoot for 7-9 chickens (1 roo and 6-8 hens) and just start small and learn before jumping too deep ...

think rir and barred rocks would be 2 good types to start with?

My new hampshire reds lay a large egg just about every day. They are sweet and easy to deal with. I've only had a barred rock once and she was also very sweet and easy.

Back
Top Bottom