Wanting to get back into Chickens but starting from scratch

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ohiokirk, Nov 10, 2015.

1. ohiokirk

ohiokirk New Egg

Nov 10, 2015
    We had Rhode Island Reds when I was growing up, great eggs but the birds seemed a little on the mean side LOL. We are going to build a coop and start again with help from this wonderful site. We are in Southern Ohio, any suggestions as to breed we should look for, we are mostly interested in the eggs which is why I am still leaning towards the RIR as the eggs were very large, any help is appreciated, thank you.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A number of members, including myself, have had some aggressive RIRs. In fairness however, the problem seems to exist primarily with hatchery quality RIRs and not with heritage RIRs from a reputable breeder. Also, keep in mind that there can always be exceptions with any breeds including those that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle. If high egg production combined with good temperament is your priority, I would suggest Black Sex Links (Black Stars) rather than RIRs. Not only are they egg laying machines that will outlay the RIRs, but my Black Sex Links have always been very friendly birds (again there can always be an exception). I raised BSLs for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids) and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year with double yolks not being uncommon. I've been especially impressed with their persistence in laying in really cold winter weather. If you prefer the color of the "red" breeds, you might want to go with Red Sex Links (Red Stars). My RSLs have not been quite as friendly as my BSLs, but like the BSLs, they are also egg laying machines. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed or hybrid you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome To BYC
    There are many great egg laying breeds and I've been on the lucky side I guess to have friendly RIR. My favorite breed that I recommend a lot is the Black Australorp. That's because the Black Australorp is another egg laying machine and can be used for meat. Black Australorps with the right nutrition will mature early. They are very calm nice birds. I just love Black Australorps and I've raised a variety of chicken breeds and I still believe Black Australorp is the best.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  6. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I think my flock illustrates what Michael means when he says there are always exceptions to breed traits, lol. I've had 2 RIR, one is a sweetie and the other wasn't mean but was very standoffish. I currently have 3 RSL girls, 2 of them love to peck my legs and the other 1 is my lap pet. I've had BA in the past but they were the least friendly to people and 1 was a terrible bully to the other birds. For every breed I've had, I've had exceptions to the breed traits and I would guess this is true for a lot of people.

While maybe not as productive egg layers as the sex link girls, the Barred Plymouth Rocks and Speckled Sussex I've had have all been terrific girls (and they do lay well, just not as frequently as the RSL or as large of egg).

You might want to ask over on your state thread for recommendations:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

No matter what you get, have fun and enjoy them!

7. ohiokirk

ohiokirk New Egg

Nov 10, 2015
    Thank you all for the welcome and the recommendations on bird types, we are excited to get back into the flock!

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens - you might want to try 2 or 3 of the recommended breeds. That way you have a better chance of finding just the right breed for you.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by