Wanting to get my 1st set of Peafowl!

armstrong6114

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 13, 2015
Douglasville, GA
Hey there!
I've been checking out the forums for a while and don't post a whole lot, but I think I am ready to try out things and get into peafowls!
Question I have is, have I missed the window they lay their eggs? Where should I look as far as getting eggs/peachicks from? I have searched my area on Craigslist and tried to search on here, but I don't seem to be very successful! I honestly don't want to pay the $200+ that hatcherys list theirs at. I only want 2 for now, preferably male and female. I'm OK with incubating eggs too, although I've seen mixed reviews stating Pea eggs are harder to hatch.

I live on 10 acres in the woods and have my place picked out to build their coop/run. However, I've also been reading on how to teach them to free-range, stay close by and to go back into their coop at night. I want to give that a shot. I have about 30 chickens who free range daily, all day, hoping they would all get along OK - the Pea's would have their own coop though, unless they just felt the need to stay with the chickens! haha!

Any helpful tricks/tips would be great!
Thanks!
-Stephen

Hey there!
I've been checking out the forums for a while and don't post a whole lot, but I think I am ready to try out things and get into peafowls!
Question I have is, have I missed the window they lay their eggs? Where should I look as far as getting eggs/peachicks from? I have searched my area on Craigslist and tried to search on here, but I don't seem to be very successful! I honestly don't want to pay the $200+ that hatcherys list theirs at. I only want 2 for now, preferably male and female. I'm OK with incubating eggs too, although I've seen mixed reviews stating Pea eggs are harder to hatch.

I live on 10 acres in the woods and have my place picked out to build their coop/run. However, I've also been reading on how to teach them to free-range, stay close by and to go back into their coop at night. I want to give that a shot. I have about 30 chickens who free range daily, all day, hoping they would all get along OK - the Pea's would have their own coop though, unless they just felt the need to stay with the chickens! haha!

Any helpful tricks/tips would be great!
Thanks!
-Stephen

If you give us your state we can see if any of us, who have Peas/eggs available, are close to you. You have definitely not missed the window on eggs. I ship eggs as well, but the P.O. is hard on them, I just gave up on 2 that were shipped to me, but in the past I've hatched shipped ones, so it is a gamble.

And........
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I suppose that would be helpful! ha!! :) And that's very exciting news! Thank you!!
I am in Douglasville, GA. Near Atlanta.

Thank you!!

I think @hairco might be in GA, not sure who else is? If you want to try shipped eggs, closer is always better because the Postal Service has a shorter amount of time to torture them, but if you can't find any closer, let me know.

Actually hairco is in SC, I'm not sure why I thought GA, sorry, I'll keep looking!

Last edited:
Thanks!!
I sent an email to the folks in Macon on that site and I haven't got a response yet. I can only find hatchery's that will ship out day old chicks, but you have to buy a high amount and I don't want to do that as I don't want THAT many! I'm going to give the location in Savannah a try although that is a long ways away.

Thanks much for the advice!

If you haven't raised peafowl or pheasant chicks before i would suggest to get them 2 months old or older, it will be easier to raise older birds.

Thanks!!
I sent an email to the folks in Macon on that site and I haven't got a response yet. I can only find hatchery's that will ship out day old chicks, but you have to buy a high amount and I don't want to do that as I don't want THAT many! I'm going to give the location in Savannah a try although that is a long ways away.

Thanks much for the advice!

Okay hold on just pulled out a UPA directory to find some more breeders in Georgia:

1. Bailey, MichaelAnn
Coveyset Farm
Summerville, GA (706) 857-5432
[email protected]

2. Cone, Scott
Milner, GA (770) 358-7012
[email protected]

3. Davis, Jr., Al & Ellen
Swamp Fox Stables
Blackshear, GA (912) 449-4497

4. Giving Care Education Center
Canton, GA