Wanting to get some chickens.

starfroggie

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Walla Walla
Hi, I am new to the forum and have found many of the posts to be quite informative already.
big_smile.png

I live in town and have been doing some looking and reading about specific breeds and I think I have figured out what I want now.

One each of the following hens;

Black Austrolorp
Buff Laced Polish
Silver Laced Polish
Rhode Island Red

Black Silkie Bantam
Silver Sebright Bantam
Frizzle Cochin Bantam

That is about it. Any advice? I am in Walla Walla so put in a call to Phinny Hatchery but had to leave a message as it was my lunch break and theirs also. I have never had any experience with them before. We also have feed stores around here but I don't really know what breeds they carry or if I will have to put in an order at mypetchicken or what.

Shana

Out of those listed I have the Austrolorp. I really enjoy them. They are friendly without being overly assertive. Mine are not noisy either. I would get more if I had the room!

Those are good breeds and you should be happy with them, but I would wait a few more weeks before ordering any chicks. It's still too cold out to guarantee that they'll arrive alive, you don't want a shipment of dead chicks. Mypetchicken is a good hatchery, most of us have had good experiences with them.

If you don't want to order through a hatchery, your local feed store will do it for you. You can order through them and they'll call you when the chicks arrive.

Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens!
frow.gif

nice thing about that is that you ARE in Walla Walla and so is Phinney

Del's over here west of the mountains, gets chicks from Phinney, and their RIRs looked pretty good when they came in last week, though the Black Sexlinks seemed to have gotten chilled enroute

would be great if you can order direct

Welcome! This is the place to be if you need information on chickens, want chickens, or require chickens, we are enablers and will be more than happy to assist you!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I called Phinney today and they only have two of the breeds I listed and are sold out until late April because they are providing the local feed stores, probably
tongue.png
I may look around at the feed stores to see if I can find two for now, then have the other five shipped from mypetchx since they do a minimum of five. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate all of it.

I agree, one of my RIRs is a real bigmouth. A second one is a bit quieter. The third, well, she isnt much like a RIR in many ways, so she doesn't count. Her eggs are a porcelain color, not brown, and she's just not great RIR stock. Lets say that Reba makes up for the other two with her loud cackling...and that's not even when its her own egg being laid.

Back
Top Bottom