Wanting to Keep two Roosters

jenmar0811

Hatching
Jun 1, 2016
I have recently got into raising backyard chickens and purchased 14 chicks. As it turns out 2 of those 14 are cockerels and are going on 2 1/2 months old. One is a BR and the other is a RIR. Will it hurt to keep both of these cockerels/roosters together with 12 hens as they get older. They are together now and are used to one another. If not, what can I do to separate as far as pens/ another coop? I just don't want any dead chickens due to my negligence.

It depends on the personality of the roosters, but I think you will find in the next few months your two little roosters becoming obnoxious and harassing to your pullets. Rosters sexually mature sooner than hens and begin to try to mate them while the pullets are screaming and running.

In the end you will have one too many roosters with your hens and they will quickly become bare backed from all the mating. Whether the roosters will fight each other or form a coalition will depend on their bond and personality.

I personally would look remove both as they start making the hens scream, or at least remove the most trouble of the two. You will need a pen next to or inside your coop to house them. You can swap them out if you wish. You will eventually find that one is better than the other. It can take a year for a rooster to mature fully and to stop being such a pain. If they are still causing troubles after that they shouldn't be kept with hens.

Being as you are new to chickens, roosters need a calm confident owner, and some understanding of their behaviors, and in my opinion they shouldn't be over handled. Aggressive roosters are not fun.

It depends on the personality of the roosters, but I think you will find in the next few months your two little roosters becoming obnoxious and harassing to your pullets. Rosters sexually mature sooner than hens and begin to try to mate them while the pullets are screaming and running.

In the end you will have one too many roosters with your hens and they will quickly become bare backed from all the mating. Whether the roosters will fight each other or form a coalition will depend on their bond and personality.

I personally would look remove both as they start making the hens scream, or at least remove the most trouble of the two. You will need a pen next to or inside your coop to house them. You can swap them out if you wish. You will eventually find that one is better than the other. It can take a year for a rooster to mature fully and to stop being such a pain. If they are still causing troubles after that they shouldn't be kept with hens.

Being as you are new to chickens, roosters need a calm confident owner, and some understanding of their behaviors, and in my opinion they shouldn't be over handled. Aggressive roosters are not fun.
I second that!

I have recently got into raising backyard chickens and purchased 14 chicks. As it turns out 2 of those 14 are cockerels and are going on 2 1/2 months old. One is a BR and the other is a RIR. Will it hurt to keep both of these cockerels/roosters together with 12 hens as they get older. They are together now and are used to one another. If not, what can I do to separate as far as pens/ another coop? I just don't want any dead chickens due to my negligence.
I Third OHLD's post.

Let me ask.... Why do you want 2 cock/erels?
There are numerous reasons and solutions.

I want to keep both because one is a barred rock and the other is a rhode island red. This way I could breed them with my rhode island red hens and barred rock hens and have a couple of different options with hatching.

I want to keep both because one is a barred rock and the other is a rhode island red. This way I could breed them with my rhode island red hens and barred rock hens and have a couple of different options with hatching.
OK, then you'll have to keep them separate, both the hens and the cocks.
Full time separation time would be easiest in the long run.
Set up 2 coops and runs....one for the RIR and his girls and one for the BR and his girls.
You could free range (if you plan on that) on alternate days to avoid any cockfights and cross breeding.

For now, until the pullets are mature and laying,
you could keep the boys in the second coop to avoid the teenage hormonal mating rage of the cockerels on immature pullets.

Back
Top Bottom