wanting to know why my egg laying has dropped

nicolette

Chirping
Jul 25, 2016
we've had some 90 degrees & plus for a few days. But still kinda dipping down in some cooler weather middle 80's. Last year even during the hottest part of the summer i was getting good collection of 10-12 eggs a day. But fews weeks ago i was getting that number of 10-12 eggs a day. This year I've only have been getting atleast right now i'm getting 10-7 eggs a day. why is there a drop? I have 16 hens.

we've had some 90 degrees & plus for a few days. But still kinda dipping down in some cooler weather middle 80's. Last year even during the hottest part of the summer i was getting good collection of 10-12 eggs a day. But fews weeks ago i was getting that number of 10-12 eggs a day. This year I've only have been getting atleast right now i'm getting 10-7 eggs a day. why is there a drop? I have 16 hens.
How old are they? Are they molting? If they are older birds, or haven't been laying for a while, their comb will be duller (pinkish) instead of bright red and thick looking. This is only what I have seen over the years. As a kid, dad said a non layer is no longer of use son, so, someone had stew. Mom couldn't cook them, pets to her, haha

I have a batch that is 2 yes & a batch that is 1 yrs. No there not molting. There comes still look bright red to me.

Production does drop off as the temperatures rise. Many hens will stop completely during the summer and resume in the fall. My production has been going down a bit and we haven't gotten warm yet here. It's just a normal part of the yearly laying cycle.

Some breeds are more consistent layers, and it can also depend on when your hens began laying and time of year they began. If they have been laying since last fall some will need a break to recover.

well 2 is not old, should get a good 3rd year out of them. Do you free range by chance? My count dropped and I started checking the yard and known hiding places. Sure enough, there was a small pile in a blown down owl house, no owls use it, but the squirrels love it and had it full of soft leafs. Chickens love it too. I have had them lay in a 5 gallon bucket, half full of hay. it's like Easter egg hunting and is as fun as when I was a kid.

Production does drop off as the temperatures rise. Many hens will stop completely during the summer and resume in the fall. My production has been going down a bit and we haven't gotten warm yet here. It's just a normal part of the yearly laying cycle.

Some breeds are more consistent layers, and it can also depend on when your hens began laying and time of year they began. If they have been laying since last fall some will need a break to recover.
good point, We are still cooler here and have had more than our share of rain, and high temps aren't usually an issue in Indiana. Some summers are worse though.

Than you! Those that need to recover will they go back to laying eventually?
They should. It can help to feed a higher protein ration than layer to help optimize production. Some layers are now 18%, I recommend 18-22%. I use a non medicated grower and an all flock ration for higher protein. Keep a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs.

Back
Top Bottom