wanting to start haching off eggs.

tara2003

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 7, 2014
I want to try and hatch off some eggs, But I don't know when would be a good time to start. I have 3 hens that lay and 2 roosters. Can someone help me with this please

Last edited:
Hello, and
welcome-byc.gif

Discerning what is a good time to start depends on a few things.

What's the ambient temperature at night and day where you are? Chicks can cope if hatched in winter and adequately tended to, but for faster growth they do best hatched in the warmer months, generally.

Do you have the facilities? It's always good to have a spare cage, you never know when you need to separate animals.

Are you hoping to use an incubator or a hen?

Generally speaking, a good time is when you're ready and the animals are in the best condition you can get them into.

Do you have a plan on where to keep them during the first 6 weeks?? many people brood just a few in their house, some use a barn with electricity, or in a garage. In all cases a heat source is necessary.

About now is a good time to set eggs as in 3 weeks it will be much warmer and by the time they are ready to go out side the temps will be even better. OF course I am asuming you are in a northern state-- the southern states you can start sooner.

Remember the little ones grow up to be big chickens. Be careful of chicken math!

Do you have a plan on where to keep them during the first 6 weeks?? many people brood just a few in their house, some use a barn with electricity, or in a garage. In all cases a heat source is necessary. 

About now is a good time to set eggs as in 3 weeks it will be much warmer and by the time they are ready to go out side the temps will be even better. OF course I am asuming you are in a northern state-- the southern states you can start sooner. 

Remember the little ones grow up to be big chickens. Be careful of chicken math! 
unless you get tiny chickens...but I doubt your laying flock is a bunch of tiny chickens!

Back
Top Bottom