warm roost idea

ocap

Crowing
7 Years
Jan 1, 2013
Smithville, Missouri
I just talked with a plumber who had recently seen a warm roost idea. The inventor had placed Christmas lights in a PVC pipe, capped both ends so warm air doesn't escape and sanded the outside so the chickens don't slip off. The Christmas lights have a thermal safety switch that turns them off if they get too hot. This idea is on my "think about" list to see if it will work with the way my pens are arranged.

please add other roost warming ideas and links to products that could be placed in PVC pipe to keep the chicken's toes from freezing.

just one thought that the pvc isnt very grippy and its perfectly round so not ideal for birds to roost on compared to a branch?

Go out and stick your hand under one of your chickens at night. The roost will already be a lot warmer then what some Christmas lights will generate. I would not even use PVC pipe unless it was wrapped in non-skid tape. And that's too much effort for roosts. Just use a 2X4" board wide side up, and be done with it.

I covered my roost boards (which are 2x4s laying flat so that my girls perch on the flat 4" side) with indoor/outdoor carpeting. I got a huge roll of scap carpet from the Restore for $3. I wrapped it and secured with zip ties on each end so that it can be changed out! My girls LOVE their nice cozy roost board!

I covered my roost boards (which are 2x4s laying flat so that my girls perch on the flat 4" side) with indoor/outdoor carpeting. I got a huge roll of scap carpet from the Restore for $3. I wrapped it and secured with zip ties on each end so that it can be changed out! My girls LOVE their nice cozy roost board!
Those chickens are "Uptown" now.

My son loved lighting. He would love your idea. He'd probably decorate the whole coop with christmas lights in December. Keep thinking out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom