warm, swollen turkey leg

Trampmom

Chirping
Mar 1, 2019
Coopersville, Michigan
I have a 3 year old broad breasted white turkey hen. She has been limping for about a month. Her left foot and leg are a bit swollen and warm/hot. Between her size, her temperament, and the polar vortex, it's been a challenge to try to take care of this.

I've looked at the bottom of her feet (which was not easy!), and the only thing I noticed was kind of a flap that looks like it could have been from an old injury/cut. I'm out with my birds multiple times every day and never saw any sign of blood. The only other thing I can think of that might have happened is that sometimes she jumps up on a low stool to sleep on, and maybe she injured her leg when she jumped down. My coop has a wood floor with a thick layer of shavings, and whenever she's still on it in the morning when I go out, I will lift her off.

We're finally getting a little warmer weather, and my daughter is available to help. I've been soaking her feet in warm epsom salt water for about 15 minutes every day that it's warm enough. I moved her into a small coop to limit her movement. For a few days now, I've been putting Neosporin on that "flap", and then a piece of gauze and vet wrap.

I'm guessing she probably has an infection, but I've never had to deal with that before. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on what I should do. I'm not able to give her injections myself. I do know of a vet that I used one time for a chicken. Maybe they would see the turkey, but they are 45 minutes away, and it would be tough trying to haul a 30-plus pound, grouchy turkey. I will do it if I have to though

I am attaching pictures of her feet. There is an arrow pointing to the "flap".

Attachments

• 20210304_141319.jpg
    20210304_141319.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 62
  • left foot.jpg
    left foot.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 22
  • right foot.jpg
    right foot.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 21
It looked ok to me.

I've got a vet appointment on March 17, but they said if she gets any worse, they'll take her sooner as an emergency patient.

She's eating, drinking, pooping, and hobbling around, so I think she's ok for now.

Thanks again for your input. I'll try to remember to post what I find out.

Just returned from the poultry vet. The swelling and heat in her leg and foot has improved significantly since I previously posted, but she is still limping.

The vet said there were no signs of bumblefoot or infection, and we both thought it may have gotten injured from jumping down from the stool she used to sleep on (which I removed from the barn as soon as she started limping).

The vet suggested I re-start doing the Epsom salt soaks once a day. That will be much easier now that it's getting warmer!

It was definitely worth the money, and the 45 minute drive, to find out I don't have to be so worried about her, that she seems to be in great health, and she's not overweight.

One interesting thing... the vet told me she is a male because she has a beard. I said "well, she lays eggs"! So then the vet said that was very interesting, and that she must have xxy chromosome, and she had seen it in cats, but never a turkey.

Maybe that explains why she is so moody. She can literally be trying to bite you one minute, and then try to climb on your lap for cuddles the very next minute. It happens frequently!

Back
Top Bottom