Warm weather for Christmas

brandola

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2015
Hephzibah Georgia
One of the perks of our odd warm Christmas here in Georgia has been letting my (3) 5 week old chicks out in the day with the rest of the flock (7) . Started this today for a few hours. Was really surprised that for the most part the others ignored the chicks. No chasing or fluffed feathers. Gonna increase time together for next couple weeks as weather permits until they just stay altogether. Is this acceptable?

I am loving the warmer weather this week as well. I was worried about my little chicks as they are just reaching 5 weeks. my mom has been housing them with her flock until we get them from her Christmas day. They are venturing out of the coop and mingling with her flock. We do have them separated by a fence. Her chickens have also ignored the babies. I am new to the whole chicken raising. I too would like to know what others have to say.

One of the perks of our odd warm Christmas here in Georgia has been letting my (3) 5 week old chicks out in the day with the rest of the flock (7) . Started this today for a few hours. Was really surprised that for the most part the others ignored the chicks. No chasing or fluffed feathers. Gonna increase time together for next couple weeks as weather permits until they just stay altogether. Is this acceptable?

I would like to see some experienced input, as well.

Personally, have had experience only with reintegrating a full grown, recovered hen to her flock and it was quite an ordeal - but I did learn that chickens will show aggression whether you are present or not. And that there are so many variables in the task that each person's set up and flock characteristics make a difference.

Hopeful that your plan can work. I want to add a few newbies to my flock this year and have been re-reading everything I can find. And all seem to state not to try to integrate them until they are as large as the existing flock members and have lost their baby peep voices. For me that will mean building a new coop as a grow out/ introduction home.

IMO - your title is not getting the attention for the question. There are so many threads on this site, it is difficult to notice them all (we just hit over a million threads this week).

Would you consider copying and reposting the questions? Either here in this forum or under "managing your flock" with a new title that more reflects the question?
Something like - Need Advice - introducing 5 week old chicks to the flock.

** I would suggest contacting a Moderator to change the title for you, but the only way I know how is to PM - and they deserve to be off on Christmas**

Back
Top Bottom