Warmer States - How do you store your eggs before incubating them...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hipeatall, Jun 8, 2010.

1. hipeatall

hipeatall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    I know it is recommended to store hatching eggs at 55 - 65 degrees... and so I've been brainstorming on how I can make this happen at home. We are in Central Texas... temps here are in the high 90's already... with the A/C on we keep our house is a comfortable 76 to 78 degrees. I know there are lots of peeps in warmer states hatching eggs... I'm wondering how do you store them prior to going into the incubator. Please help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Well when i lived with my ex, I stored them in his wine cooler [​IMG] Wine wasn't supposed to be kept at refrigerated temps for storage. I guess you could take the temps in your fridge and see if an area is warmer than another and use that?

3. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    My husband rigged up an old kegerator for me. He put in shelves, sealed off the hole on top where the tower was and turning the dial to the warmest position it holds at 58 degrees.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I store mine in the basement.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I keep the wine fridge at 55 degrees...so out with the keg, and in with the egg?

6. hipeatall

Mar 2, 2009
    I read that ideally a wine fridge will run at 55 degrees temp with 50 - 70 % humidity levels. Of course, I don't have a keg or wine cooler... so I would have to go buy one... hmmmm... it is a thought though and a bit more practical than adding a basement [​IMG] - though a basement would be nice!

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    You can find the little countertop wine fridges on CL pretty easy. The smaller ones hold 12 bottles--perfect for a batch of eggies.

8. hipeatall

Mar 2, 2009
    Quote:LareePQG... I really do appreciate your help (again and again!) you are so awesome... I will check CL right now... great suggestion!

9. hipeatall

Mar 2, 2009
    found a bunch on CL in the $30 range! [​IMG]

10. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    *chest bump*

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by