warming my hands with a chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RockyToggRanch, Dec 13, 2008.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Just curious...does anyone else grab up a warm chicken in the middle of doing chores when it's -7 out. I had to stop to warm up 3 times this morning. Each time holding a different chicken, none of which objected. We'd just stand in front of the heat lamp and sing. My gloves are not sufficient, but as long as I have my feathered friends...I will survive!

2. Every Morning. Thanks for sharing !!

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I've been known to pick up Oliver my buff orp rooster and stick my hands under his wings.

4. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I was just outside insulating the coop and hanging a heat light and didn't have gloves on, so I grabbed Doyle my polish girl and held her for a few minutes...she talked to me the whole time and seemed to enjoy the shared warmth. It really does work.

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    That's so sweet. I want to warm my hands with a chicken every day! Now comes the hard question... Which breed warms the hands better? My vote is for Silkies. [​IMG]

6. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I watched my roo stand in the snow and I thought his feet must be soooo cold. i held him and put my bare hand around his foot and it was WARM! They sooo rock!

7. Quote:[​IMG]

8. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    If only I could train two of them to sit on my boots. I can see it coming.. me taking my boots off and sticking my feet into a mound of warm chickens. Hmmmm..what would it take to persuade them to cuddle the feet???

9. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Hey! I should open a chicken spa!

19.95 for a chicken facial

29.95 for a chicken cuddle

49.95 for a chicken massage ( lay on your tummy and I'll "scratch" yer back...hehehe

BTW I've had the facial.. it involves yogurt and feathers...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2008
  10. annaserv

annaserv Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    northern Wisconsin
    I guess I haven't been doing anything unusual after all. I take some warm up breaks with my chickens, while feeding the cows and calves, especially since we've been having some sub zero mornings.

When my hands would start to go numb, at first I'd go in the coup area and warm them up between the layers of my clothes, and be entertained by the girls. Now I grab one of the big fluffy Cochins and pet her under the wings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by