(warning - graphic content) Sweet hen killed by unknown predator

I feel your pain. When a fox took my special bird Gladys, I was broken hearted too and cried. I was never so close to a bird as her but she had special needs as she was a cross beak. She would come running to me when I called her and walk right in front of me when she wanted to be picked up. She loved to be on the tractor with me. At least I have lots of good memories and pictures of her. I beat myself up, if only. A fox took her in the middle of the day while I was distracted. I did catch the fox.

Update:
We installed the door on the coop and added a latch with luggage lock. We are shutting the chickens in at night and locking the coop. The chickens have been fine each of the last two mornings, so I feel like we can relax a little.
There is still the gap at the top of the walls, between the wall and the roof. I have spoken with a local person who also has chickens (37, she said), and she believes the measures I have taken are sufficient.
I still feel anxious each morning, when my son lets the chickens out... He messages me at work to let me know they are okay. He has noticed that the survivor of the attack (her name is Blacky) needs extra comforting when he shuts them in at night.
It finally sank in this morning, as we buried Gabby, that she won't be by my side when I work outside... I never thought I would become attached to a chicken.:hit
How big is the gap?

i think you should set up a trap its probably a possum or skunk and I'm sorry for you loss my favorite chicken died too just a couple weeks ago . first set up game cam so if its a skunk you dont have to smell it

Back
Top Bottom