Warning graphic images

Can they go outside? Do they have a run for example, with perches of different heights and places scratch and dig? I don't find my hens very still too often.

Sorry about your hen though. That sucks. :(

Can they go outside? Do they have a run for example, with perches of different heights and places scratch and dig? I don't find my hens very still too often.

Sorry about your hen though. That sucks. :(
They free range in a portion of our yard and they have their run for bad weather. Neither do I! It seems like they are always running and digging and what not. Definitely a shock that Popcorn wasn’t fit enough.

They free range in a portion of our yard and they have their run for bad weather. Neither do I! It seems like they are always running and digging and what not. Definitely a shock that Popcorn wasn’t fit enough.
Strange! Other than a high corn etc diet maybe I don't know what else causes that. Hopefully someone will chime in with suggestions. Or it was a one-off. Do the other hens seem the same as her?

Strange! Other than a high corn etc diet maybe I don't know what else causes that. Hopefully someone will chime in with suggestions. Or it was a one-off. Do the other hens seem the same as her?
Right! I don’t even feed them corn! Idk it could of been a one off. I have read that sometimes they’re just genetically predisposed to liver disease. She was very much like the others. They’re all happy, scratchy, running around, flapping, exploring young hens.

I had a chicken die with no apparent reason. She was about 5 months old no signs of illness died in the nesting box.She never made a sound of distress or showed signs of egg bound was running around with the flock went in the coop half hour was gone. It just happens sometimes and it hurts. I don't think it was anything you did or didn't do. Just a genetic thing. I'm sorry for your loss.

UPDATE:: I just got the report back and unfortunately it was her liver. The report said this can happen when birds are fed high energy diets with limited exercise. So kind of good news bad news. Good news it wasn’t an infectious disease that got over looked by my regular check ups but bad news apparently my girls aren’t getting their exercise in. I’m really glad I know now though. Not knowing was so hard and not knowing if there could be other deaths while waiting. I know some people suggested it could be her liver. Is there anyone else who has been through this? How can I encourage even more activity?
Do you feed treats?
What exact feed do you offer?

Back
Top Bottom