Warning - Graphic pics of Internal Egg Layer Necropsy

the Old Rebel

Rest in Peace -2011
12 Years
May 12, 2007
Hendersonville NC
Hi All,

I am going to try to upload these pictures, because I have never seen anything like this. I have not been able to understand why we couldn't do anything to help a hen that is laying internally. Now I understand.

This is my Hope. She lived for a week after we discovered she was in trouble. But, obviously, she had been laying internally for quite awhile before that.

We did everything in our power to help her - two antibiotics, warm baths (she seemed to thoroughly enjoy them), keeping her on a heating pad with a heat lamp overhead (red bulb) (we're in the mountains of NC where it is still chilly at night and in the mornings and evenings), keeping her in the dark, giving her Poly-Vi-Sol, oiling her with olive oil in the mouth and in the vent - everything we could think of, but it didn't help. She died in my arms yesterday afternoon.

These pictures are graphic, but I had to see what everyone means by laying internally.

2112_internal_laying_2.jpg

2112_internal_laying.jpg

2112_internal_laying_3.jpg

All I can say is "Wow". Who'd a thunk it?? They must internally lay for awhile before you even realize something is wrong. Wow.

Rest in peace, my little one.

All I can say is WOW again. THANK YOU all for your comforting words of sympathy. Hope was a special lady. I feel like she deserved better than I was able to give her, but, honestly, I had NO IDEA what she was going through. She showed no signs of distress until one week before she died.

A special thanks to you, Dhlunicorn, and to you, SpeckledHen, for all of your information and input. I am convinced now that Hope didn't die from internal laying, but from something else. My DH and I both wish we had either taken her for further investigation at our diagnostic lab or investigated further ourselves. We just assumed those were unfinished eggs. Shows you how much we know.

Ha! I used to think I knew a little something about chickens. I don't anymore. I've had them as pets for 10 years and have had very good luck with them when it comes to diseases and other problems. We have been very, very blessed.

I have lost a few hens along the way.... a few stood straight up like a penguin, a few lost all of the meat on their breastbone, and a few were alive one day and dead the next with no readily apparent cause. This was the first time I opted to do a necropsy. Since they are pets, I couldn't bring myself to cut on them, but I think that has changed now. I WANT to know what is hurting my babies.

Just for everyone's information.... Hope was not a hatchery bird, but her great-grandparents were. She was hatched and raised right here on this property. She was 4 years old. I do not use artificial lighting to get my hens to lay. I would NEVER force a molt. My girls do what they want, when they want, and how they want. Some go broody and some do not. To my knowledge, Hope never did. I assumed she was laying, because I would see her in the nestboxes, but I have so many hens, I can't say which egg belongs to who. When I say so many, I mean 24 in the pen Hope came from..... which is actually two adjoining pens with separate hen houses. The hens cross back and forth under the common fence, but the two roos respect each other's territory and stay on their own side of the fence. It works for us.

Anyway, for you newbies, I pray you won't worry too much about your birds and really take time to ENJOY them. Sometimes they get sick and when they do, do your best to take care of them. But we have to know that death is as much a part of life as living. You WILL have losses. There have been times when I have given my very best only to find out it was the exactly wrong thing to do. I've killed a few of the ones I love the most with what I thought was kindness. So take advantage of the years of experience and wisdom that is represented here on this forum. I know I couldn't get along very well without it.

Thanks to all.

The Old Rebel

Mine didn't present that way. Wow! That is wild. I lost four to internal laying last year. It may have something to do with the way yours began. My girls' ailment probably began as an ovarian infection which was incapsulated in the oviduct. They say that happens when the cloaca is loose and feces backs into the wrong channel as an egg is being laid. Yours is each yolk sack separately, so maybe more the cause was hormonal? Interesting pictures.

Did she actually split open? Or did you open her after death to view? I hope you opened her cuz if thats how she died OMG that is sooooooooooo sad. Did you know it was internal laying before she died? Wow Wild!

I agree with Sp H, that looks more like a hormonal thing to me. It looks like a bunch of the eggs started to develop at once.

I have had two internal layers this year and when I necropsied them, I found a huge wad of what looked like cooked egg yolks in the abdomen.

Back
Top Bottom