Warning i got from a friend.......

Jolyn

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Northern California
I just showed a friend of mine the pictures of my boys with the chicks and she warned me that her friends son got salmonella poisoning after playing with baby chicks......Should i be concerned?

I have been having the boys wash hands whenever they play with them and so do i. We were doing that even before my friends warning.

Thanks guys,
Jodie

* If the boy's are washing, I don't think there's a problem-- but, kids show always be trained how to handle a chicken (meaning esp. keeping them UPRIGHT) and observed in the process to make sure they aren't risking themselves or wearing the chicks out.
wink.png

Last edited:
I have been raising chickens for 8 years and no one in my family has every got salmlnella from it.

Quote:
Good to know!!! Thank you!!!!!

Oh and i am being very careful with my boys. I'm watching them very closely when they are near the chicks...... however i can't imagine that they would even try to turn them upside down.

Last edited:
d.k :

lol.png
Just being a bit chicken over-protective, Jolyn-- Sorry. There was a case here recently and it's still on my mind.
jumpy.gif

Oh no i totally understand!!!! My boys know not to go near the chicks without supervision....plus the heat lamp freaks me out too.​

We kinda have a germ phobia after my SO almost died from systemic e.coli last year. I keep a pump bottle of hand sanitizer on the counter by the door. Get one and get your boys in the habit of using it whenever they've been handling the chicks.

wash wash wash. "Good ol's soap and water never hurt any one" so momma told me (wonder if her mom tried to make her eat a bar of lux?!)

I've gotten sick from cleaning the litter box but no the hen house. Go figure

Being a nurse I must wash my hands at least 50 times in a 8 hour shift and I'm a firm believer in it. I really don't think chicks can carry samonella but in doubt wash your hands, use sanitizer and just use common sense.

Back
Top Bottom