Warning signs before crowing begins?

One of my little 2-week-old WFBS started squeaking, now at 4 weeks he sounds like a dog toy.
I've found it is very breed dependent.
Some are faster maturing, some don't have the confidence to crow before they're big, some are less noisy overall.
My English Orpington took the longest to crow. He was almost 6 months and near full size, but a slow maturing breed. He now loves to hear himself (I like his, with a long Ooooo sound, lol).
My Ameraucana start around 3-4 months and quickly sound mature.
Mosaics start at about 2 months, and sound squeaky and abbreviated for a while.

I understand, we are not allowed to have roosters either and I have 3 (7 week olds) I did a straight run Starlight Green Egger, before I learned to be a good chicken mom. I know I have to rehome them (don't want to think about the alternative). One is already making the raspy sound and is much larger than the others. He is definitely the dominate one. He is also very people friendly; he loves my husband and jumps on his lap as soon as he goes in the run. The other two will jump on my lap to see if the treat bowl is empty and then roost there. I wish I could figure out a way to make them not crow!!!! We have nesting boxes for wild birds and they are so loud no ones knows I have chickens. LOL

Do you realize how loud female chickens can get when they get close to laying?
Yes I do realize that the hens can also be loud. I am hoping that with the neighbours knowing and aware we have them they are unlikely to say anything. We also live on a corner and their coop is away from all the neighbours. So fx they aren't reported. I have a back up plan should this fail. We will see how long it lasts.

I had a bantam cochin that started crowing at 9-10 weeks and he sounded like squeaky door hinges so I started calling him hinges. His crow never progressed beyond the squeak but I had to get rid of him cause he got extremely aggressive towards me. Most of my cockerels are Wyandottes that we hatch every year and so far they don't start crowing until 6-9 months old but this may be because cockerels tend to keep quiet around a mature rooster until they're old enough or ballsy enough to try fighting for dominance.

Back
Top Bottom