Was hoping for hens but think we got roosters---PLEASE HELP

jayyohe

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 19, 2012
Hi all - we are brand new to chickens and need some help identifying what we have. We picked up these 3 birds when they were just 2 weeks old at our local Tractor Supply Chicken Swap. I believe we were told they were bantams at the time but didn't know the breed. From our online research, we feel we have Buff Brahma Bantams. We were hoping for 3 hens but believe they are all roosters. They were born 8/17/12 making them about 8 weeks old. When we take them out of brooder, they love to fight with each other. Recently, all three of them started to crow as well.

Any guesses?

Thanks

3 Mille Fleur D'Uccles

All boys.
Also way older than 8 weeks. They are at least 12-14 weeks old based on their saddle feathers. Those don't show until at least 12 weeks old, but I'm guessing closer to 14 weeks.

I'm really sorry you got jipped :(

3 Mille Fleur D'Uccles
All boys.
Also way older than 8 weeks. They are at least 12-14 weeks old based on their saddle feathers. Those don't show until at least 12 weeks old, but I'm guessing closer to 14 weeks.
I'm really sorry you got jipped
sad.png
Thanks for all the replies and for pointing us in the right direction. Don't feel bad though as we were not told what sex they were when we purchased them. Can't believe that we got 3 boys though. Dang it! We have 7 other standard sized brown egg laying hens that we ordered from a hatchery. They are now almost 5 weeks old and quickly catching up in size to the bantams. Got 8 but one died after a day, now left with 7. Anyway we can keep all the Mille Fleur D-Uccles roosters or just one or should we give them all away and just get something else? Any suggestions? My wife and kids are really gonna be bummed when they get this news that we have 3 roosters.

Thanks for all the replies and for pointing us in the right direction.  Don't feel bad though as we were not told what sex they were when we purchased them.  Can't believe that we got 3 boys though.  Dang it!  We have 7 other standard sized brown egg laying hens that we ordered from a hatchery.  They are now almost 5 weeks old and quickly catching up in size to the bantams.  Got 8 but one died after a day, now left with 7.  Anyway we can keep all the Mille Fleur D-Uccles roosters or just one or should we give them all away and just get something else?  Any suggestions?  My wife and kids are really gonna be bummed when they get this news that we have 3 roosters.
If you are allowed to have roosters, you can keep all 3. Just don't have them all around the girls. Boys will get along fine if there aren't any girls to fight over, and may even get along fine with girls around.

They are cute :) Love D'Uccles!

If you are allowed to have roosters, you can keep all 3. Just don't have them all around the girls. Boys will get along fine if there aren't any girls to fight over, and may even get along fine with girls around.
They are cute
smile.png
Love D'Uccles!
No choice but to keep all the chickens in the same coop/run, so we don't have a way to keep them separated. Kinda have a feeling we will be getting rid of all of the roosters and sticking with the girls. We can keep roosters but not sure how happy the neighbors will be.

Again, can't thank you all enough for the replies.

No choice but to keep all the chickens in the same coop/run, so we don't have a way to keep them separated.  Kinda have a feeling we will be getting rid of all of the roosters and sticking with the girls.  We can keep roosters but not sure how happy the neighbors will be.

Again, can't thank you all enough for the replies.

You could narrow it down to one roo to keep. Crowing is in part a chain reaction soif one starts the ther two will go off. However if you pick the least 'crowy' of the group to keep you shouldn't have to worry about noise too much.

Back
Top Bottom