Was I massaging the gizzard instead of the crop???????????????????????

kittyacid

Songster
14 Years
May 30, 2009
Clayton, NC
Is that possible? My hen had a sour crop, I massaged it and she threw up three different times, about 12 hours apart. She was in the kennel and I keep massaging thinking she had an impacted crop, but I only felt something that felt like it had grit or sand in it, no hard or fiberous lump. She stopped eating while in the cage and I tried putting her back with the others and she immediately perked up and ate some boiled egg yoke. I think she was depressed in the cage and if I was massaging her gizzard I don't blame her. So can the crop feel "gritty" or is it possible that was her gizzard?
idunno.gif

Nothing like a chicken to make me feel like an idiot!
hmm.png

Quote:
Sand will not do the same job as Grit.

There are two types of grit, "soluble" and "insoluble" .

Insoluble - is usually Gran I grit brand and is granite bits, used by chickens to "grind" up feed, grasses, and grains in the gizzard. This is important to help avoid the sour crop we read so much about. Its especially important if you feed household scraps. It eventually passes through the system and is eliminated with the rest of the waste aka poop.

Soluble - grit is usually an Oyster shell type grit given to promote calcium in your hens and assist in the formation of the egg shell. It dissolves and goes into the system of the bird.

Chickens will eat grit as they need to. There is chick size grit you can use if you think you need to and probably should if your giving them bits of lettuce or other greens. I usually just sprinkle it on the floor of the brooder. Greens however is a treat and not necessary to feed them. They will do fine without treats. I haven't given my chicks greens since the first batch, because I'd rather not deal with it.

Both other types of grit should be available on demand for older birds. I keep two tubs, feeders or whatever you choose to use in the coop and run. You don't want to place "soluble" grit out in the open cuz the rain will just wash it away. A covered area is best and to keep it dry.

Insoluble grit comes in different sizes here, layer, starter and grower. Chickens will decide what size is best. They won't try to swallow a boulder.

Even in a free range situation I think it's best to offer grit. It's better to not risk sour crop than to have to deal with it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Hope all is well,

Rancher

Sand does the same job as grit. I make sure mine have access to plenty of sand (not fine sand, but road type sand) and other than some chick size grit once in a while for chicks that I've got in an elevated brooder I've never bought grit in 50+ years. The sand is a lot cheaper.

Oyster shell for calcium and grit are entirely two different things.

Last edited:
Thanks! From the diagram it looks like I was massaging the liver! I guess it really was the crop, but is it normal for it to feel "gritty"?

The gizzard does contain stones, but they're in a thick walled structure made of muscle and fibrous tissue — you can't possibly feel the grit from the outside. Also the liver and gizzard are housed right inside the body, protected by the skeleton and muscle walls.

I'd say you were almost certainly massaging the crop, or maybe you were feeling the hard rings around the windpipe just below the neck (you can also feel that from outside).
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom