Was I too late w/nest boxes?

I have put different kinds of nesting boxes in the coop and they still like to lay their eggs in the corner, on the floor, under the nesting boxes...So I always kept the corner clean with newer shaving, now. I use my rake to move the shavings around on the foor every day, which makes a difference.

Yesterday, every time I went to see if we had eggs, there was Always a girl sitting on them. By the time I could check wo/ a layer....We had 8 eggs...lol That's the record here, usually it's 6 a day...so 2 have stepped up and finally is pulling their weight!

We have 10 pullets.... not bad...
thumbsup.gif

They're clean too.

Melinda

Thanks everyone! I know you'd all have great advice. I'm puttin the golf balls in and leaving it up to them!

Last edited:
I put nest boxes in my coop when the girls were 18 weeks. They are now 22 weeks, and just starting to lay... so I thought they had plenty of time to get used to them. Well, they have been laying in the corner next to the boxes for a few days now. I tried putting golf balls in the nests- they seem to be scared of them. I took the golf balls out- they still won't use their nests! Silly chickens.....
hmm.png

If the hens are laying in the nest boxes now, would it be okay to take out the golf balls now.
I still have one laying on the floor in a corner and I am considering putting a laying box there as she has been laying since early july and always lays in that corner.

Quote:
If she insists on that corner, I think I would work with her and put a little cave there, to keep the other traffic and poop off the nest.

thumbsup.gif

And one of my RIRs is sitting in my shelving unit!
celebrate.gif
I think she has an egg there!

Back
Top Bottom