Was is coyotes?

dancinginafield

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 9, 2009
We just moved out to the country one week ago. Brought our Chick-N-Hutch and six chickens with us. We had them out in a fenced yard during the day and locked in the hutch at night. We were planning to build a more substantial chicken coop, but never got the chance. Something knocked the floor out of the hutch last night and ate all six. We found piles of feathers scattered all around the yard. Not much other than that. We found a couple of gizzards and a couple of feet, but all six were definitely all eaten up. It seems to me that it must have been more than one animal to completely eat all six. Could it have been coyotes? Our neighbor told us they are in the area.

it sure doesn't sound like a small critter like a 'possum or a coon. it wasn't dogs as they wouldn't have eaten the chickens. I'm not sure where you live, but it sounds like a coyote to me.

sorry for your loss..

if you have coyotes (kinda like a wild dog with dog like strength catlike abilities to get into and out of trouble.) they are tall, lanky and come out around dusk up here...

if you have coyotes, you probably have opossums, coons, and hawks as well. a light tractor may have to be secured to the ground every time you move it.. and make sure you have real wire on the run and that it is secured.. if it can be pulled off - it will. and only let them wander outside when you are around.

I am sorry again for your loss - we lost one to a hawk last weekend and couldn't imagine losing them all... keep at it, the chickens are very rewarding.

-joe-

Most likely a pack of coyotes or foxes. Sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom