was it a fox?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jane, Oct 24, 2007.

1. jane

jane Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Two bantams disappeared in broad daylight from a garden with high fences; leaving two piles of feathers about 20 feet away from each other. Fox, hawk or eagle? Are there any other Ausralians here with info about predators in Melbourne?

2. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    I'd guess one of the birds of prey got them.

3. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

My guess would be a fox. Every time I have been hit by a fox, all that was remaining was a pile of feathers just on the other side of the fence where the fox got through. If anything, itÂ’s a good indication of there security needs to be improved.

If I remember correctly, one way to determine if it's a canine is to examine the feathers. A canine will typical chew off the feathers rather than pull them out. Hence, if the bases of the feathers are sheared off, it is probably a canine.

In contrast, a feline, and I would assume a bird, will pull out the feathers. Hence, the base of the feathers will be intact.

Does that help??

Jim

4. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

other possible predators in AUSTRALIA are..... Taz Devils, possum (quite different than the opposums in the US). Could be a lot of things....

I hope you find out the culprit
    Sandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by