Was it a hawk?

Lilytoes

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
Milford
I just found my chicken dead and her feathers where all over the place. Her head was torn off and she looked like she was split in half down the middle. I have four more girls and I was just trying to figure out what killed their mom.
sad.png
She's the chicken in my photo. She was my very first chicken ever. I'll miss her alot......

Last edited:
Thank you very much. Now I am concered about my other girls. I hate feeling helpless. That I can't protect them from everything. I know that it's the way of nature. I really feel bad. So thank you very much for your kind words.

Sorry about your loss. Better get prepared for your predater to come back. Once they find a food source they are sure to come back. Can you put out a live trap. Make sure they are in the coop at night with the pop door shut. Good luck hop you don't lose anymore birds.

Sounds like a hawk to me. We lost a hen to a big one just a few weeks ago w/ similar signs -- head and parts of upper body gone/eaten, and lots of feathers pulled out and laying around. I've heard that raccoons will usually take off the head, but won't pull out a lot of feathers, while hawks will eat the head and pluck a lot of feathers in the process. If a hawk, you'll probably spot it hanging around in the next few days...

Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I haven't let my girls out since it happed. I think I'll wait for a couple of days or maybe a week before I let them roam again. We just had snow and they would be an easy target. They're not happy but at least they're still alive.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, too, Lilytoes:

You need to think about what you are going to do to keep the rest of your girls safe.

What people did not address here is do you know when your chicken was killed?

Racoons kill at night, hawks during the day.

Both will come back, to be sure.

If it is a racoon, you need to be sure to lock up your chickens very tight. They can turn locks and get into spaces you would not believe.

Also, get some night time predator lights. They work. I have not had a racoon attack in eight years.

Next, if it is a hawk, you absolutely must cover your run or whereever your chickens hange
out.

I know you feel bad, but you don't want to lose any more. Again, the predator will come back.

Nature, smature. These chickens depend on you. Don't make them bait.

Good luck to you. I know it hurts. I've lost chickens and had to learn the hard way about keeping them safe.

Back
Top Bottom