Was it the cat?

reginak

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 3, 2007
Maryland
Hi, all. Today I lost a smallish hen (a blue araucana) to a predator. The head was missing altogether, and she was ripped open. It happened in broad daylight, next to the back fence of the yard. I live in an urban area, but have a big back yard that backs up to the train tracks, so it's a tiny little wild zone. Foxes have been seen here, also raccoons of course and possums, lots of hawks. I found the chicken with a big yellow cat sitting next to her, but I'm not convinced the cat killed her. First of all, that cat comes wandering through my yard all the time and I've never worried about it attacking the chickens b/c I didn't think cats were something to worry about ... am I wrong? I don't know if the cat is domestic or feral. Secondly, because would the head be missing? I thought raccoon, after reading through that predator ID sticky post, because of the missing head and the crop was at least ripped open, I didn't see if it was missing. But broad daylight? I thought I saw a pair of foxes messing around the coop the other early morning, but it wasn't light enough to get a good look. If a fox killed her and couldn't get her through the fence, might it pull off the head?

Thanks.

Regina

Hhhmmmmmm sounds like a possem but in brod daylight? Maybe the stinker was starving and just wanted a chicken sandwitch but only had room on the bread for the head hahaha sorry sick joke!
sad.png
sorry the baby lost her life to somthing that could have eaten vegatereain style!

I would say coon (missing head) in broad daylight, not to sure about that? Would also think hawk (rippen open) but not a missing head? Were there alot of feathers around? or was this a clean kill?
BTW I'm sorry for your loss......
hugs.gif

Raccons and possums CAN hunt in daylight. Its not usual, but it happens either due to sickness or hunger, since its winter now. So it is still a possibility. A hawk will often eat the neck and breastmeat.

It sounds like the cat is innocent to me. Maybe scavaging or just curious.

Quote:
Thanks, DragonFeathers & everyone who responded. There were a lot of feathers, but all pretty much close to where the body was. I've lost chickens before and found nothing but a scattered pile of feathers, no body, and figured that was a hawk. Yes?

I'm sorry about your hen. I'd bet on a hawk if it was ripped open and some meat gone. My hunter cat is scared to death of my chickens. I don't believe a cat could take a chicken more than 3- 4 months old. Chickens are quite formidable if they could get into their little chicken brains not to be afraid.

My father just sent me pic of a possum eating out of one of his ground feeders, during the day time. If they're hungry they'll go looking. I have also seen mink/weasel out during the day. I believe they take off the heads to drink from the neck. They don't need but a whisker's worth of space to get in either. I don't think the cat would have taken her out. I think you would have seen damage to the cat too, if she had tried.

Maybe a mink/weasel took of the head and something else took over after the hard work was done.

Sorry you lost your girl.

I wouldn't think the raccoons and possums would be hungry, even in January, because I'm in an urban-suburban area ... lots of trash cans and dumpsters to go diving in. But it sure does look like a coon kill, with the head gone right next to the fence. Not a fox, huh? Whatever killed it, I suppose the cat could have ripped into it some, once it was dead. Well, I'm sorry. The other chickens still seem nervous, I hope they get over it soon. One stopped laying and went broody.

Back
Top Bottom