Was just given a rooster... need help!

TSolo

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2018
Knew to this, I apologize in advance for stupid questions. First, can I use cedar shavings in my coop? Temperature in the low 30’s F. Should I use a heat lamp? I have a rooster about 1 year old, that was given to me last week. It was either that, or it was going into the pot.

Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :frow

If you are going to use shavings, use pine. Cedar is toxic to chickens. As long there is dry bedding and a coop that protects your rooster from the blistering cold wind, he will be fine. I live in Upstate NY where we have frigid winters and my flock does just fine without supplemental heat.

Best of luck with your new fella! He is lucky to have found YOU.

smiley xmas hello.gif

Always feel free to ask questions, there are a lot of knowledgeable & friendly members here.

Thanks for joining us!

Hi and welcome to BYC. No question is stupid - if you don’t know - ask. As you can see above - nobody will judge or mock you for asking.

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

:welcome No stupid questions on here, we all start from some place off in the distance so let all the knowledge bring you closer to where you want to be. Roosters are awesome given the chance and its cool you wanted to give him a life. Avoid the cedar as stated, pine, chopped straw, hay, All Purpose Sand to name a few are your golden ticket to success. I would avoid the heat lamp, just not worth the risk involved and they don't really need it. Ventilation is key to his condo. Think DRY not heat. Get a chance hit up your favorite search engine and look at DIY mini coops. If he is alone it won't have to be anything more than 4 X 4 ventilated box and aim for a few inches of bedding as a convenience to you and an insulator for the floor. Good luck! Post some pictures of your new pet.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry. There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Chickens do well in 30 degrees and can survive temps below 0 degrees. Anyway, is your rooster showing aggression? Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Back
Top Bottom