Was this a bad idea?

SkyT

Chirping
Apr 23, 2020
Seattle, WA
We built our coop planning on using corrugated plastic roofing and we’re choosing between tinted or clear. Well didn’t end up with a choice due to low supply so we got clear. The chickens can and do go up to the roost bar but at night huddle on the floor still. Which got me thinking maybe they were uncomfortable with the clear roof because of their instincts/predators. Should we modify this somehow? There’s also a window on the side which the girls love to look out of and get excited when they see us (because we always pull up dandelion leaves for them which we’ve discovered is their favorite treat). So it’s nice and light in there. Which given we live in Seattle where it’s so dark for over half the year we figured the more light the better but now I’m second guessing. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 3A98905F-023E-4F3B-AF9D-5AEB51214B3F.jpeg
    3A98905F-023E-4F3B-AF9D-5AEB51214B3F.jpeg
    744.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 9FEA9741-0560-4673-9D9C-DA74FC11E779.jpeg
    9FEA9741-0560-4673-9D9C-DA74FC11E779.jpeg
    606 KB · Views: 26
How old are they? It may be that they just don't know how to roost yet. Even with older girls, I had to go in after dark and place our two-year-olds on the roost when we moved them to a new coop. Some of them caught on, others were huddling on the floor.

7-8 weeks about I think

7-8 weeks about I think
There most of it. My little ones didn't know to get on the roost before it was to dark to see. I put a night light in the roost and put them up on the roost every night for a few days. Then they were up and down at night like little kids with a flash light but roosting. A few night later I took out the night light and it was all good until egg laying. They couldn't see to get off the roost to find the nest box as January is low light hours. Wanting to drop an egg at 6am and sunup is 6:38? She just dropped the egg right off the roost on the poop board. Again, young and dumb.
A battery op, photo light on off. low light stairway light worked spot on.
Fake egg in the nest, one light in the box one under the low roost bar and no more eggs broken on the poop board.
Chickens are scared of anything the first time and have to be shown. broody hens are teachers. You need to get your broody on.

Back
Top Bottom