Was this a "squat?"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by melloladies, Oct 7, 2010.

1. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    I have a 21 week old EE/cochin X and I saw her out in the yard squatting like she was trying to squeeze somethin' out! If I didn't know any better, I would have thought she was trying to poo... but I had JUST seen her poop w/no issues, so I don't think that was the problem. Her tail was pulsing though, so something was going on...
    So my question is, does squatting have to involve a person or roo walking up to a pullet? Or will they do it for no reason?

2. 6-acre-zoo

6-acre-zoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    Was there anything close by, like a cat? Some of my chickens squat when the dog gets too close, but mostly when I walk near them....

3. melloladies

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Does a mockingbird count? LOL? We don't have any dogs- and the kitties are safely inside [​IMG]

4. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    squatting indicates she is entering sexual maturity and it's a hen's natural reaction to the approach of a rooster (or a person). It means your hen will be laying soon.

5. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
  6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:really? My hens dont squat when the rooster comes, although he is pretty rough so maybe he just doesnt give them time?

7. melloladies

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Thanks! I've heard that they do it when you walk up to them- but nobody (or thing) was anywhere near her?!?!? I wasn't sure if it still counted.[​IMG]

8. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    ChickeeBooBoo,
    Maybe your girls don't like his type![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by