Was told this was a light Brahma?

lovmychicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 13, 2012
I went along with this but she does not have the feathers on her feet. What does everyone think?
My little Houdini

Lol this pic they all wanted to be in on. Those are my 6.
Large pics I know sorry but I read on here that the bigger and more the better it is to determine the breed.
Thank you for all your help.

As of right now it looks like a single comb,
it is very yellow, very small but the points are very distinct, it does look kinda thick for being awful small (short).
She is a little more than a month probably born around Sept. 24 or 25

As of right now it looks like a single comb,
it is very yellow, very small but the points are very distinct, it does look kinda thick for being awful small (short).
She is a little more than a month probably born around Sept. 24 or 25
if its a single comb, than it could be could also be a light sussex, or maybe a delaware...their coloring is very similar

Thank you I'll look them up and see what they look like and the characteristics of both. I'll just have to sucomb the realization that what ever I get from the local feed store I will have to figure out the breeds for myself and also the sex.
caf.gif
I got a boy who was supposed to be a girl, and now I got a something other than the Light Brahma
barnie.gif
that I was hopping for due to the beautiful feathering. But wait I now have a new excuse to tell my boyfriend to go get another baby
idunno.gif
(he was the one that saw a light brahma and fell in love with its looks)

This is day 21 of what I believe to be a Brahma … she's by far the loudest, but ain't the Houdini of my twenty-six chicks. I've another that's bound to be his sister -- survived 20 hours outside, through a damp night in the thirties. Anyhow …

Again? This is at three weeks, 12 OCT … they will be five weeks old tomorrow. If you'd like? I will wake her up, 'n take a few more pictures ~'-)

I had yet to see a baby light brahma only what the place called her. Yours is so cute, I love that kind of military light brown color would be neat to have a chicken stay that color. She is very different looking than mine, and there is lots of feathers on her feet (I thought it would grow in eventually but after looking a pics they are pretty much born with them based on other sites I was reading at. Mine are completely bare yellow and look like scales. I love her but after the heads up on what she could be I have my fingers crossed on the columbian wyandotte still a very cool looking chicken, pretty similar with out the neat feet feathers to match the rest of her.

I had yet to see a baby light brahma only what the place called her. Yours is so cute, I love that kind of military light brown color would be neat to have a chicken stay that color. She is very different looking than mine, and there is lots of feathers on her feet (I thought it would grow in eventually but after looking a pics they are pretty much born with them based on other sites I was reading at. Mine are completely bare yellow and look like scales. I love her but after the heads up on what she could be I have my fingers crossed on the columbian wyandotte still a very cool looking chicken, pretty similar with out the neat feet feathers to match the rest of her.

Most would thought she was just chirping, but I interpreted her sounds to say, "Thank you for your kind words, but what of my siblings?" Seems there are several more similar (I thought she felt a bit lighter than I remembered ~'-)

I did take a few pics, since I can't sleep …

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but … save for the color, and bein' all fuzzy footed, doesn't this chick look very much like yours? That's 'cause her breed is part of the recipe of your breed, which I don't believe to be any of the aforementioned breeds (although there's yet another that's in the mix as well ~'-)

I'm blinds as a bat, which normally makes me lousy at breed identification, but I'm still wickedly good at solving puzzles/problems, and research. Googling brahma and the phrase "without feathers" led me to a few books and journals, which led me to the answer to your question:

:: pauses dramatically, whilst awaiting the drum roll ::

Your chick, if purebred, will breed true, and is an example of the Columbian Plymouth Rock (introduced through the American Poultry Journal in 1907 as the Light Plymouth Rock), and was originated in 1902 by Mr. F. M. Clemens' crossings of Light Brahmas, Barred Plymouth Rocks, White Plymouth Rocks, and Columbian Wyandottes (hence the confusion ~'-)
The ideal for this breed is to have the true markings of a Light Brahma, except having single comb, and the body shape of the Plymouth Rock. And, of course, without the feathered legs of my fuzzy-footed friend(s).

Back
Top Bottom