Wash or no? Need a tie breaker.

Mar 14, 2020
Ontario
Here in Ontario it is now the muddy season. Regardless of how much straw or covering I give my girls I get the occasional egg that is covered in mud. I have read several articles that say do not wash or rinse the eggs that it removes the natural barrier and the eggs can then get bacteria and make you very sick, I have read equally as many that say to wash.
I am nervous enough about getting sick from the eggs. ( fairly weak stomach in general with foods) Any insight or experience you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Here in Ontario it is now the muddy season. Regardless of how much straw or covering I give my girls I get the occasional egg that is covered in mud. I have read several articles that say do not wash or rinse the eggs that it removes the natural barrier and the eggs can then get bacteria and make you very sick, I have read equally as many that say to wash.
I am nervous enough about getting sick from the eggs. ( fairly weak stomach in general with foods) Any insight or experience you guys have would be greatly appreciated.
You wont get sick from eating an unwashed egg unless it is broken. the main reason i don't wash is because i dint have room in the fridge.

Washing eggs and then refrigerating them has been my plan forever. I wash them in warm running water, drip dry, and refrigerate every day.
Eggs for hatching need to be reasonably clean (really clean if in an incubator) and not washed or refrigerated.
The old saying is 'one day on the counter is like one week in the refrigerator' and I believe it.
Mary

:thumbsup Good decision.

An egg goes bad because bacteria enter inside through the porous egg shell and multiply. The warmer the egg the faster it multiplies.

The last thing a hen puts on her egg when she lays it is a layer we call "bloom". That's why an egg looks wet just as it's laid but it quickly dries. That bloom is a really good barrier to stop bacteria getting inside. A hen is able to lay eggs in a clutch for two weeks and then incubate those eggs another three weeks without them going bad. Ducks, turkeys, and other poultry can go even longer. Bloom really is effective.

But if that bloom is compromised bacteria can enter through the porous shell. If you wash the egg, sandpaper it to remove dirt, or just rub it hard with your thumb you can remove bloom. If the egg gets dirty, especially as the bloom is drying, its protection is compromised.

Bacteria still has to be present before it can enter the inside of the egg. It's a good idea to have fairly clean hands when handling eggs. Oily or wet hands are not good. If dirt or poop is on the eggs that can hold bacteria.

The temperature inside a refrigerator stop bacteria from growing and multiplying. That's why you store perishable food in refrigerators.

I keep my clean eggs on the counter. These are the ones I give to other people. I wash the dirty eggs and keep them in the fridge. Those are the ones I eat.

I wash all my eggs in warm water, (about 105 degrees Fahrenheit), in the evening and air dry overnight.
I inspect eggs in the morning and put in cartons and refrigerate.
Cartons are dated when full and rotated in fridge to eat or sell older eggs first. 20200401_171518_resized.jpg . GC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom