washing a chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cam123, Jul 3, 2011.

1. cam123

cam123 New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    hi i have a white sultan and she got in the front yard and walked under one of my cars now she is a black striped white sultain is there any way i can wash her
    thnx

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I gave my Cochin a full bath with warm water and dawn soap due to another chick pooping over her entire back with a runny poop. I made sure I fully washed the poo out then fully rinsed her in the kitchen sink. I blow dried her on the low warm setting until she was fully dry. My Cochin looked really good after her bath! I had no idea she was that dirty.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Agree on Dawn Dishsoap. That`s what they used to clean the wild birds caught in the oil spill. Put a capfull of vinagar in the rinse water.........Pop

4. Pertica

Pertica New Egg

Apr 8, 2011
    I just gave my white leghorn a bath because of the badly dried up poop on her bottom. When I reached the blow dryer phase of the job, she was highly upset and would not be calmed down. Right now she in in the coop (it's warm but windy) and is slowly drying off. I've heard that white leghorns are jumpy and flighty; this one is!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    In our weather, being put back in the coop wet would be a favor to the chicken!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. Mine don't seem to mind the water. I also have sprinklers in their yards and they love to get wet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by