Washing dirty Eggs before incubation

lhines08

Songster
Jan 5, 2021
Pennsylvania
I bought some eggs off a lady to hatch but some are pretty dirty.
Do you recommend washing?
I know it's a debated subject.

I was thinking I would wash with warm water and dip in hydrogen peroxide.

Attachments

• 20210107_141548.jpg
    20210107_141548.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 33
I bought some eggs off a lady to hatch but some are pretty dirty.
Do you recommend washing?
I know it's a debated subject.
Hi there, and welcome to BYC! :frow

The part I would debate was already blown out of the water when you bought eggs on ebay. :smack

That's already water under the bridge though.. and a personal choice like so many other things. :)

After hatching hundreds of eggs.. there are not many hard fast rules really no matter WHAT people try fear mongering into us! ;)

Don't get me wrong.. MOST things are stated with VALID reason. Risk is there for MANY things like rinsing eggs before hatching, lifting your lid during lock down, assisting hatch, etc. We do our best but when faced with reality.. uhm.. we still do our best.. EVEN if it isn't the accepted norm. :oops:

Were those eggs shipped and if so, now far? Will this be your first incubation? What bator? What are your intended temps and humidity, etc? Do you know how old the eggs are.. how long they were collected, in transit, etc before now? Are the air cells in tact? Do any look micro cracked when you candle them.

I KNOW there are specific recommendation if you want to sanitize an egg before setting.. please search that term on here before going head on If your goal is to actually sanitize and not just remove debris. Yes it will take of the cuticle also known as bloom which is a very effective protective coating.. to the egg/embryo.. but won't do anything for what chicks may be exposed to after hatching while still inside the humid warm bator...

I personally would skip the peroxide and rinse under hot water.. warmer than the egg.. IF I was going to do it. And also without further research.

My favorite hatching resource for technical info, and probably includes sanitary stuff..

Incubation guide

Where I found that link and lots of other great information..

Hatching Eggs 101

Happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

To be VERY clear.. I've had dirt eggs hatch, washed eggs hatch, clean eggs hatch. I've also had clean, unwashed eggs NOT hatch. Sometimes there is NO rhyme or reason.. and even when ALL things are equal to the best of your ability your hatch rate will STILL vary.. period.

Yes, it's most "ideal" to set fresh, clean, unwashed eggs from your very own flock on high nutrient feed.. Ultimately we have less control than we think.. Dial it in, do your best.. life finds a way! :fl

Back
Top Bottom