1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Washing Eggs Before Incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by countryboy1, Nov 16, 2009.

1. countryboy1

countryboy1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Waterloo Illinois
    I know you probably get this question a lot but, Are you suposed to wash eggs before incubation? Today it rained a ton and as you can imagine my eggs were dirtier than nornal. I've had people say yes, no, and it doesn't matter but i'm not really sure what to do.

2. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    No, you don't want to wash the bloom off of the eggs!

3. kcravey

kcravey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    East Texas
    you dont want to wash them... and I wouldnt want dirty ones in my incubator. The ones you have to wash go in the fridge at my house [​IMG]

4. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    some people use a brush to get some extra dirt off... or wipe with a paper towel.. but i've heard washing can cause more problems than it fixes...
    i would go for the brush method... like a fingernail brush, or an old toothbrush.. but again, dry...

5. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I'm washing all of mine, more a soak than a wash. Water warm, not hot to the touch, 1 gallon of water to 1 TB of bleach. I do four at a time, gently wiping off any dirt and roating so they spend the same amount of time in the water, maybe 60 seconds total. If they are not dirty they just soak less than a minute. I'm still having good hatches. I do NOT scrub at all. After a purchased egg incident with NASTY eggs, I'll probably do at least an egg dip from now on. I plan on ordering Oxine soon, so I'll use that. I let them drip dry in the egg tray. Once they are dry they go into the incubator. I have 9 babies in the brooder right now from washed eggs. 17 eggs were set, 6 were non-viable. 2 are left to hatch (or not) still. These are pullet eggs for the most part too. No seepers, no bad smells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by