Washing eggs for the incubator... How do you do it?

texascowboy1979

Songster
10 Years
Aug 14, 2009
Texas - Best Place on Earth
So my dad used to hatch ostrich eggs in an incubator about 15 years ago.... and he said Im supposed to wash all eggs that go into an incubator to increase hatchability. So... how am I supposed to wash them and with what? Please advsie...

I've been told never wash them. just lightly take any poo off with fine grit sand paper. I don't even do that. I just try to take what I can off with my figernails.

Many people refuse to wash any becouse of fear of lowering there hatchability. Others wash all of them for fear of contaminateing there incubator. I wash when needed by running hot water over the egg an wipeing it with my hand or a cloth. I dont think you will help them hatch by washing them unless they are real dirty.

Last edited:
You are about to find out that opinions on this subject are like belly buttons. Everyone has one and they are all different. Myself, I wash hatching eggs under hot to the touch running tap water, rubbing the dirt off with my fingers. I let the eggs air dry and that's it.
db

I run them under hot water and rub dirt spots with my hands until clean. Pat dry with a towel and that's it. I'm pretty new to incubating eggs though.

What dbcooper says is absolutely true. Take everyone's opinions with a grain of salt, and do what feels right to you. The only time I have ever washed eggs under running water I had only 1 out of 12 hatch, however, they had been put into the fridge, because I hadn't planned on incubating them until the last minute. But I still can't bring myself to wash them any more.
wink.png

I want to hear what the success hatchers say.

I only knock off the big stuff because I don't want to remove the protective bloom.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have never seen a hen wash an egg, so yet should I. When you wash the egg, you do wash away the protective bloom (coating) on the egg. This gives micro-organisms a chance to enter the egg, which will kill the chick. At best you might wipe with a dry cloth.

I have hatched dirty eggs, and I have hatched washed eggs. I have no statistics. The folks that hatch and raise the endangered whooping cranes wash theirs in a betadine solution. They have a good hatch rate. So when I do wash mine, It is usually a rinse in a mild betadine solution. Once I am getting enough eggs in the spring, I think I'll do an experiment with washing vrs. not washing just to see if there is any difference.

Quote:
excellent point! i've been mimicking nature but it prolly helps to also watch what experts do since me just getting involved isn't nature. sometimes there must be a correction of me out. like betadine.

Back
Top Bottom